Sitting For Your Portrait, Ladies

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Admittedly an upper-crusty occupation it was considered de rigor to have one's portrait painted no only by the ' upper class ' in Europe and America but by those whose merchant wealth enabled them to join those ranks. This concept assuredly went over better in the states than Europe where you could not buy your way into the aristocracy. Be you ever so wealthy the taint of ' The Shop ' still clung to you- an appalling concept here where it is well known the more money one possesses well heck, the more royal they are.

Starting with non- American artists, portraits of the era reflective of the life in that ' class ' You can't quite let the UK and France off the hook when it comes to labor. The may not have owned people; still did little towards equality for those they considered servants. I'm torn with some these- stunning example of lovely women in bygone eras, still relics of the army of servants and the poor required to uphold lavish lifetsyles. Some are not, portraying life in general. Nice.

Very cool paintings though, era art portraits and paintings at their best, Americans next thread. From ' Swan's Shadow'.

por 3.JPG

por 5a.JPG

por 5b.JPG

por 6.JPG

por 7.JPG

por 7a.JPG

por 8.JPG

por 8a.JPG

por 9.JPG

por 9a.JPG

por 9a.JPG

por 11.JPG

por 11a.JPG

por 10.JPG

por 12.JPG

por 12a.JPG

por 13.JPG

Regarding the horseback ones - obviously back then the ladylike thing was to ride side-saddle; I had one horseback experience about 15 years ago with my then 10 year old niece, and I never realized how high up you are on those things. Note that I said ONE horseback experience. Would have been less than one if I had to ride side-saddle. So props to the side-saddle riders of the day

I particularly like the one with the governess arriving at her new post. From the looks of that family, she probably doesn't know what she is getting into.

Admittedly an upper-crusty occupation it was considered de rigor to have one's portrait painted no only by the ' upper class ' in Europe and America but by those whose merchant wealth enabled them to join those ranks. This concept assuredly went over better in the states than Europe where you could not buy your way into the aristocracy. Be you ever so wealthy the taint of ' The Shop ' still clung to you- an appalling concept here where it is well known the more money one possesses well heck, the more royal they are.

Starting with non- American artists, portraits of the era reflective of the life in that ' class ' You can't quite let the UK and France off the hook when it comes to labor. The may not have owned people; still did little towards equality for those they considered servants. I'm torn with some these- stunning example of lovely women in bygone eras, still relics of the army of servants and the poor required to uphold lavish lifetsyles. Some are not, portraying life in general. Nice.

Very cool paintings though, era art portraits and paintings at their best, Americans next thread. From ' Swan's Shadow'.

View attachment 76531
View attachment 76532
View attachment 76533

View attachment 76534

View attachment 76535
View attachment 76536

View attachment 76537

View attachment 76538

View attachment 76539

View attachment 76540
View attachment 76540

View attachment 76542

View attachment 76543

View attachment 76541

View attachment 76544

View attachment 76545

View attachment 76546
por-5a-jpg.jpg

Not crazy about the face and shoulders, but the artist nailed that dress. Exquisite, almost like a photo!

View attachment 76531
View attachment 76532
View attachment 76533

View attachment 76534

View attachment 76535
View attachment 76536

View attachment 76537

View attachment 76538

View attachment 76539

View attachment 76540
View attachment 76540

View attachment 76542

View attachment 76543

View attachment 76541

View attachment 76544

View attachment 76545

View attachment 76546

Where are the Royal Chinet Plates!

Last edited:
Ballerinas were in the same class as actresses, just slightly above ladies of the night.

Really? Ouch! I had this lovely story in my head all about how her children and grandchildren were so proud of her- she lived to be quite old and I imagined was always also quite pleased to have this painting to point at. You'd have thought ballerinas got a lot more points socially, too, right? Tough crowd, our Victorians, gee whiz! It's a real art form and a skill while ladies of the night, well, ok, skill, I mean- never mind. Everything I think of in comparison ends up sounding smutty.

Really? Ouch! I had this lovely story in my head all about how her children and grandchildren were so proud of her- she lived to be quite old and I imagined was always also quite pleased to have this painting to point at. You'd have thought ballerinas got a lot more points socially, too, right? Tough crowd, our Victorians, gee whiz! It's a real art form and a skill while ladies of the night, well, ok, skill, I mean- never mind. Everything I think of in comparison ends up sounding smutty.
Not infrequently, ballerinas were the mistresses of the aristocracy.

I am looking at these pictures and beginning to wonder about the shoulders on many of the women, so I am going to pose a question. How many of the women on this forum, or the significant others of the men, on this forum have such sloping shoulders? These portraits make me feel like I must be deformed, because my shoulders are quite straight. The children seem quite normal, but the women look ...odd. Enquiring minds want to know!

Back