ENDED Single-Shot Pistol (replica)

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I wanted to find a good replica single-shot pistol that would be fun to shoot and also target shoot. Also want something inexpensive and will accept a Used condition.
I like the military pistols, like the Dixie Gun Works Model 1855 but that comes with a shoulder stock for $650.

What I DO NOT Want:
X- Kentucky Pistol with the "C" shaped grip.
X- Lyman Plains Pistol with the heavy Hexagonal barrel.

Prefer a Dueling Pistol even one without a ramrod. Good grip and both sights.
Prefer caliber .50 caliber or smaller, even down to .31 caliber.

Flintlock? Still debatable. I would like to own a Flintlock pistol or rifle but I think I would get more use from a percussion.
Prefer USED condition if that saves me money and the condition is Good. Maybe a few dings and such but no corrosion in bore, etc.

Looking for types and makes that are available. Anyone want to sale me something so they have money for Christmas?
Anyone have a used DGW Model 1855?

I think I have decided on this one:

William Parker Pistol by Traditions in .50 caliber.

Anyone know where to find a good deal on one, either new or used?

Well, I think I have made my decision.

William Parker Dueling Pistol made by Traditions.
Nice slim lines without that heave barrel on the other Plains Pistols.
0.50 Caliber means I don't have to buy another size of ammo.
Hooked Breech barrel for easy cleaning.
Set Trigger and a fair rear sight should make it fund to Target Shoot.
Price: $365 I like that!
WilliamParker__001.JPG

This is the grip shape that I wanted. It doesn't have the brass pommel on the bottom so I have to be careful not to chip the Walnut.

@DixieRifles Thats beautiful! If it is not too much trouble would you mind letting us know how you like it after you have fired it. I am fascinated by dueling pistols myself, flint or percussion. I have a Pedrosoli Harper's Ferry, (not a dueling pistol, I know), that I love.

Thanks for the photo.

John

Thats beautiful! If it is not too much trouble would you mind letting us know how you like it after you have fired it. I am fascinated by dueling pistols myself, flint or percussion. I have a Pedrosoli Harper's Ferry, (not a dueling pistol, I know), that I love.
Yes, sure. I may not shoot it for a month or even more. But I'm sure I can't hold out that long.
I have the correct ammo but I want to make a nice ramrod. I also have to figure out how to load it without putting too much force on the curved grip. This does not Brass Cap on the bottom of the grip. Instead it has that small "Rim" around the bottom. I don't want to scar that up.
I searched for video's of someone firing this gun. Most videos are the Lyman Plains Pistol or I find videos posted by Italians or Russians(?). I tried to see how they load it without resting the grip on a bench. But most of these videos were showing beginners. One guy tapped the ramrod down some 15 times after the ball was seated. I'm used to loading Colt/or/Ruger revolvers. It has a built-in Lever that applies the force through the gun's frame and not into the grip. It should not take much force----but there will always be that one load that won't budge.
This Traditions pistol is a cheaper version of the Pedrosoli. I believe the Pedrosoli has a nicer sight but it doesn't have the Set Trigger.

Here is the Italian video of a more expensive replica. Not sure if it a Pedrosoli.
I can't find one video of a Traditions pistol.

I found this "review" on a gun forum. I didn't plan to use 50 grains of powder; start with 30 and maybe increase it some.

1-inch group at 30 yards no problem. I tested 240 grain .50 cal PA conical made by Hornady and they are a perfect match for the pistol. They fit nice and tight so it will never move forward from the powder. I shot up to 50 grains of FFF with very little recoil. Despite the heavy barrel and length the pistol is very light. I plan on carrying it during the PA archery muzzleloader deer overlap season to use as a finishing pistol if necessary.
Heck with a 50 grain charge and a 240-grain conical or heavier it will kill a deer out to 50 yds no problem according to the Taylor knockdown calculator. With the heavy powder charge it does shoot a few inches high so I might put a taller front blade sight on it at some point but for now it is a blast to shoot.

Oh. This video shows loading and firing a Pedrosoli model that has a similar grip as the Traditions. This guy has good description but with a strong accent. Note how the Set Trigger works on this Model.

In my early days, I designed and built a loading stand much like this one. Used simple plywood. It was used to hold a replica Colt revolver so I had 2 free hands.

This is a Stand that is shown with a single shot pistol. I would still worry that too much pressure would damage a curved grip like this.

52d57c3b1c721c2c1c151f6aab7c73ed.jpg

Well first, thank you for posting all this! Videos too no less.

It's a beautiful piece. Congratulations! The next time a challange is issued you will be the envy of every man present on the field of honor.

Sad to relate I put a small gouge in the stock when removing the pin under the barrel of my Harper's Ferry pistol. Heartbreaking!

I share your concern about damaging the wood grip while loading. However I never tried a loading stand.

John

Our next door neighbor spent three years recreating a matched set of Joe Matton dueling pistols. He recreated the box & as much as possible, all the kit, as well. On the glorious day he put the finishing touches on the box, he proudly walked into his backyard to fire his pistols. He took aim at a piece of paper tacked to a power pole. Our yards backed up on the bottom of a bluff. He aimed & fired... collapsed in agony. At ten paces, the ball bounced off the pole & hit him square on the right shin bone, breaking off a jagged splinter. I don't know if he ever fired the second one or not.
However, looking on the bright side, he did get to experience what a duel really would have been like... there is some satisfaction in that ¿no?

Last edited:
@Rhea Cole Yes, I guess there is. What's a shin more or less, in the quest for historical accuracy. Quite a painful way to experience the past, however. Is he still shooting black powder, do you know?

John

Santa arrived via UPS, today!
Later, I will post my evaluation of the workmanship on this pistol. But for now, let's open the box.

My googling had located a photo showing the pistol just out of the box provided by Traditions. However, I was still surprised that they included a RamRod. For some reason, I was not expecting that.
Box Contents--03A.jpeg

Beautiful European Walnut. The barrel and lock plate appears chrome plated---which makes the Corrosion Control Department very happy.
Grip-01A.jpeg

Ready to board my first canoe that floats down the Wolf River.
{Mirror Image -- a Selfie}
Pirate pistols-05A.jpeg

Now for a my evaluation of the workmanship and quality of this pistol.

The pistol has a hooked breech which should make cleaning much easier.
I immediately came upon a problem removing the Barrel Tenon Wedge. It was very tight; upon extracting, I found the wedge was bent. The brass inlay cover for the hole on the LH side is bulged out rather awkwardly. (See Item #5 )
NOTE: The Ramrod has a .50 caliber cleaning jag attacked to the end on the right of this photo. Both ends are threaded for the larger threads.
Disassembly-007A.jpeg

I have itemized the areas to discuss.

1: The cross-section of the Grip is Oval and not Round. This results in a "peak" on the back side of the grip that fits in the palm of your hand. I like the curve of the grip but this oval shape doesn't seem to be comfortable as it would be if it was a Round cross-section.
2: Chrome(?) Plated Barrel. This makes it look shiny. I've read reviews that expressed a desire to remove this and add a blue finish. The problem is that if you look closely you will notice imperfections. There are "wrinkles" and "honey comb" patterns. After handling this for a few hours, I finally noticed either rust or missing "chrome" along the corner of the barrel close to the muzzle end at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions.
The shiny chrome finish is also a problem with the sights. I can see how a sunny day can make it difficult to get a good sight picture. I may have to smoke the rear sight to cut down on the glare.

3: Lip on fore stock. I am worried about damaging these sharp corners and ridges. My pistol already has a very minor ding in this ridge. I also noticed the finish on the front of this stock is not as shiny as the rest of the stock's finish.
4: Set Screws X2. Most Set Trigger assemblies has a set screw between the front and the back triggers. This one seems to have a second set screw behind the back trigger. It is under the aft of the loop Brass guard so it is not accessible. I suspect this is screw is for some other purpose. What is this 2nd screw?
5: Barrel Tenon Wedge The brass inlay on the Left side is bent in the center---slightly raised. The wedge was difficult to remove and my screwdriver slipped and I scratched the finish. So much for a wedge hole protection. The Wedge is bent. I don't know if this is how it was designed but I have never seen that on any Hawken Rifle design.

6: Bevel cut-out of Stock on RH side. The stock has a bevel carved out from the Barrell to some distance behind the Hammer. There is no reason for this---again, nothing that I've seen on a Hawken Rifle. This exposes the top of the Lock Plate---and it exposes a gap between the Lock Plate and the stock. You can see thru this gap and the mechanism inside the stock. This gun has several design ideas that should protect the inner mechanism from burnt powder. I've never used a flash protector under the Nipple but that may be something I might add to my rifles. BUT this gap will expose the inner mechanism to powder and water(from cleaning). See other detailed photo.

x: Brass Inlay is really nice but they did not carve the stock to fit. They used a filler to close the gaps between the stock and the inlays.
QualityItems.jpg

LockPlate_gap_008A.jpeg

My goal was to select a pistol that was accurate and had a grip that was comfortable and natural to my hand. This pistol seems to fit this criteria. The Set Trigger and the brass guard will take some time to learn how to use. Some reviewers say the spur on the back of the Guard can dig into your finger when fired. I think I will stick with a light load which---according to what I've heard and read---produces much better accuracy than a heavy load. I have to be careful to keep my finger off the Front Trigger while cocking the hammer. The front Trigger requires a little stretch to engage but I think that will come more naturally as I get adjusted to the grip.
The Hammer is hard to cock. And it is a long reach to cock it with your shooting (right) hand so I'm expecting I will be cocking it with my Left hand.
The pistol is still a little muzzle heavy. I really wanted to get a .45 caliber pistol. Again, I think this will take some practice.

Last edited:
More photos. My guess is the barrel is chrome plated and that makes it hard to take a photo without some glare.

Pistol_201b.JPG

Pistol_203b.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back