Signal Corps badge placement for 1st Sergeants

Chris Leech

Private
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me out with the above please.

From what I`ve read, Sergeants would wear the designation of the corps placed in the angle of the chevron upon the left sleeve, but in practice it was worn on both sleeves.
My question is, how did the first Sergeant wear his badge, as he had the diamond designating his rank placed in the angle of the chevrons. Was the Signals badge sewn higher up the sleeve above the diamond or was it sewn over the top of the diamond .....

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

I believe its higher up. Here is a great link with some info on this subject.

I believe its higher up. Here is a great link with some info on this subject.

Thank you, that is the site where I got my initial info from, but it unfortunately doesn`t answer my question. But thanks again ....

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me out with the above please.

From what I`ve read, Sergeants would wear the designation of the corps placed in the angle of the chevron upon the left sleeve, but in practice it was worn on both sleeves.
My question is, how did the first Sergeant wear his badge, as he had the diamond designating his rank placed in the angle of the chevrons. Was the Signals badge sewn higher up the sleeve above the diamond or was it sewn over the top of the diamond .....

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
The direct answer to the question is that Civil War Signal Corps did not have first sergeants. They had an eccentric rank system.

IMG_2181.jpg

Living history signalist from Stone River N.B. calling a flag message. at Chickamauga N.B.
Two Beardslee Repeating Telegraphs Camera Right​

Wearing the Signal Corps badge on both arms indicated an instructor. The placement of the badge is a rule of thumb make it look right kind of thing. It sits very nicely in the triangle of the chevrons. Civil War soldiers did not wear shoulder patches & chevrons were worn the point almost at the break of the elbow.

Signal Corps corporal.jpeg
Signal Corps Badge.jpeg
Signal Corps Private.jpeg

Description of Badges for Enlisted Men

Device on Arm: Crossed signal flags, red & white, on dark blue cloth. Size of flags: Three-Fourths of an inch square; centre, one-quarter of an inch square; length of staff, three inches. Sergeants will wear the designation of the corps placed in the angle of the chevron upon the left sleeve, Privates will wear the designation of the corps in the same position on the left sleeve as the chevron of sergeants. Officers did not wear arm patches.

In practice, even though a single patch was regulation, it was common for enlisted & NCO's to wear patches on both sleeves.

Signal Corps NCO hat patch.jpeg

Reproduction Signal Corps E. M. & N. C. O. Hat Patch
Enlisted & NCO signalists wore this patch on the front of their hats. As a result, it was not uncommon for them to be saluted like officers.

Signal Corps Officer's Hat Patch.jpeg

Signal Corps Officer Hat Patch

<civilwarsignals.org> Signal Corps Pacthes & Insignia by Mark C. Hagman​

Last edited:

The direct answer to the question is that Civil War Signal Corps did not have first sergeants. They had an eccentric rank system.

View attachment 376611
Living history signalist calling a flag message from Stone River N.B. at Chickamauga N.B.
Two Beardslee Repeating Telegraphs Camera Right​

Wearing the Signal Corps badge on both arms indicated an instructor. The placement of the badge is a rule of thumb make it look right kind of thing. It sits very nicely in the triangle of the chevrons. Civil War soldiers did not wear shoulder patches & chevrons were worn the point almost at the break of the elbow.

View attachment 376603 View attachment 376606 View attachment 376607

Description of Badges for Enlisted Men

Device on Arm: Crossed signal flags, red & white, on dark blue cloth. Size of flags: Three-Fourths of an inch square; centre, one-quarter of an inch square; length of staff, three inches. Sergeants will wear the designation of the corps placed in the angle of the chevron upon the left sleeve, Privates will wear the designation of the corps in the same position on the left sleeve as the chevron of sergeants. Officers did not wear arm patches.

In practice, even though a single patch was regulation, it was common for enlisted & NCO's to wear patches on both sleeves.

View attachment 376609
Reproduction Signal Corps E. M. & N. C. O. Hat Patch
Enlisted & NCO signalists wore this patch on the front of their hats. As a result, it was not uncommon for them to be saluted like officers.

View attachment 376610
Signal Corps Officer Hat Patch

<civilwarsignals.org> Signal Corps Pacthes & Insignia by Mark C. Hagman​
Thank you.....

Back