Sight Picture For 1861 Springfield

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
I'm enjoying the many interesting responses in this thread. Having shot frequently with @Booner, I can attest to the systematic way he often goes about things. Some people wouldn't have the patience for that much trial and experimentation. I don't have as much patience in this particular pursuit, but I've sure come to realize the importance of a good group. That's consistency. When you can consistently throw a good group, you can work on making that group appear where you want it.

musketjon

Cadet
I can't speak for the Pedersoli sights, but I shoot an original Wm Mason 1863 contract rifle-musket in CWSA competition. As to sight picture--look at the rear sight leaf. There is a large "U" notch in the leaf. At the bottom of the "U" is a small "V" notch. The "V" notch is the actual sighting notch. Put the top of the front sight blade right where the bottom of the "U" and the top of the "V" meet. Look at it and you'll see what I mean.
As for the load, 50 grains of 2F is right on the money for MY rifle at both 50 and 100 yards using the lyman old style minie bullet (580213) with no sight adjustment. This has been my "go to" load in that rifle for the past 41 years.
Good luck, good shooting, and keep yer powder dry.
Jon