Petersburg/Richmond Siege of Petersburg

Jpcavinder

Cadet
Teaching the Petersburg siege would certainly be rewarding for those who are interested in learning more about the CW. That was a critical campaign that somehow gets less attention than it deserves.
I agree with your saying it doesn’t get enough attention. It’s humbling to walk in the very spot where Lee’s last offensive was. It truly was the final turning point in the war with Lee in defensive mode for the rest of the war.

jackt62

Captain
Jack

Would you like to learn about the siege? What do you want to know the most?

bryce

I am certainly familiar with the general events and history of that period. But I am always looking for more in-depth studies of specific engagements such as the attempts to disrupt the Weldon and Southside Railroads, which do not get the same attention as some of the well known battles at the Crater and Ft. Stedman.

DaveBrt

2nd Lieutenant

A. Roy

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
I am thinking about offering to teach people about the siege of Petersburg. First of all, is anyone interested? Second, how would you like me to present the material? Should I tell the story in chronological order?

This is a nice offer. If you're thinking about doing this here at CivilWarTalk, maybe the best thing would be to raise a question that most people wouldn't think of -- mention that in the title of the Thread, then in the body of your initial post, set out some of the interesting things you have to share on the topic. Just a suggestion...

Roy B.

jackt62

Captain
This is a nice offer. If you're thinking about doing this here at CivilWarTalk, maybe the best thing would be to raise a question that most people wouldn't think of -- mention that in the title of the Thread, then in the body of your initial post, set out some of the interesting things you have to share on the topic. Just a suggestion...

Roy B.

Excellent idea!