Siege mortars for reenactors?

Screenshot_2019-03-18-20-21-49.png

@Jeremy stake , I believe when they are talking siege mortars they mean the large full scale pieces like the larger ones in the picture above. The pictures you posted of the mortar fire at Gettysburg happen every year at the annual reenactment which takes place on private property, not on park property.

They have a siege mortar crew at fort Macon that routinely fires for visitors.Unless I'm mistaken fort Macon is run by the park service

They have a siege mortar crew at fort Macon that routinely fires for visitors.Unless I'm mistaken fort Macon is run by the park service
I've never been to Ft. Macon so I can't comment on what they do there but I can comment on the photos you posted of the Gettysburg event because I attend the event every year and it is not on park property.

Have you priced a full scale siege mortar replica?
Didn't mean to cause any waves.

And no.
I've never personally priced a Full Scale Siege Mortar Replica.
I'm sure these replicas are not inexpensive.

I should have clarified.

It's always been somewhat of shaking my head moment when I see about ten to fifteen guys wearing more red than gray or butternut
show up with a small Coehorn Mortar passing themselves off as a Confederate "Artillery" unit . . .at a brief cavalry skirmish 'reenactment' .

Last edited:
Fair enough they have a mortar competition on private land somewhere very close to Gettysburg park that draws spectators, and appears they have had it several years.any idea who owns the land who is nice enough to host this and allow spectators? I would like to find more details and maybe attend? Is that private land at that Petersburg park?

Fair enough they have a mortar competition on private land somewhere very close to Gettysburg park that draws spectators, and appears they have had it several years.any idea who owns the land who is nice enough to host this and allow spectators? I would like to find more details and maybe attend? Is that private land at that Petersburg park?
They do it as part of the annual Reenactment event, they rotate between a couple properties. https://gettysburgreenactment.com/

Lo
Didn't mean to cause any waves.

And no.
I've never personally priced a Full Scale Siege Mortar Replica.
I'm sure these replicas are not inexpensive.

I should have clarified.

It's always been somewhat of shaking my head moment when I see about ten to fifteen guys wearing more red than gray or butternut
show up with a small Coehorn Mortar passing themselves off as a Confederate "Artillery" unit . . .at a brief cavalry skirmish 'reenactment' .
Lol

Jeremy, If you are satisfied that your research - regardless of its source - is sufficient and you know everything that you need to know, that's all that's important.

As we used to say at the end of a call for fire mission, "Out".

I had a fried that yearly needed a extra crew member to do a live fire with a Spanish American War mortar. He even offer to supply the uniforms. Now I wish I had taken the time to drive an hour and a half.

The 150th Gettysburg had Mortar demonstrations as part of the "Show" for the Public. The mortars did not participate in the battle, obviously.
I was there, I saw it......
The 150th Gettysburg reenactment was not held at the Park itself. It was held on private land.

In my "neck of the woods" (IL, IA and WI), mortars are not part of our reenactments (I participate to 8 to 10 a year, with a full-scale artillery unit). Once in a while, there will be a mortar competition (usually in Boscobel, WI).......Other parts of the country may have different experiences with mortars.

Hern Iron Works sells an 8-inch siege mortar for $6,000. Paulson Brothers used to live fire a 13-inch sea coast mortar. As to where to fire them, National Guard posts have hosted matches on their ranges.

Back