Side Trips for Antietam Muster in October 2021

Part of the preliminary discussions about this trip is possibly traveling the same road from Spring Hill to Franklin that the two armies took.
I know Stones River/Murfreesboro is tantalizingly close to Franklin but think our event should be concentrated on one or the other, preferably Franklin, especially since the Battle Of Franklin Trust now has available Rippavilla as well as the Carter House and Carnton. Stones River could be grist for a side trip on Thursday or Friday, much like South Mountain this year.

Part of the preliminary discussions about this trip is possibly traveling the same road from Spring Hill to Franklin that the two armies took.

I know Stones River/Murfreesboro is tantalizingly close to Franklin but think our event should be concentrated on one or the other, preferably Franklin, especially since the Battle Of Franklin Trust now has available Rippavilla as well as the Carter House and Carnton. Stones River could be grist for a side trip on Thursday or Friday, much like South Mountain this year.
This thread is for Antietam side trips, all I did was answer the ladies question. Stones River in the spring. No further discussion on this subject is needed in this tread.

This thread is for Antietam side trips, all I did was answer the ladies question. Stones River in the spring. No further discussion on this subject is needed in this tread.
Fair enough, mea culpa.

Last edited:
IMG_0475[1].jpg

I'm happy to close this thread by reporting that both the Thursday all-day side trip to South Mountain and the Friday morning trip came off perfectly though not exactly as planned. I couldn't have wished for a better experience Thursday, thanks largely to Maryland State Park Ranger Steve Robertson who went above and beyond for us, opening the small museums, answering all our questions, and leading us to obscure locations, especially at Turner's Gap - he even joined us for lunch and that evening for dinner at South Mountain Inn!

IMG_0470[1].jpg

Friday didn't work out as planned but made for a more seamless experience overall. The Shepherdstown jaunt was cancelled in favor of a justified full day at Harper's Ferry, the town itself in the morning, followed by a tour of the positions at Camp Hill, Bolivar Heights, the Murphy Farm, and School House Ridge. And as you can see, even the supposedly "iffy" weather cooperated!

IMG_0465[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back