Side Trips for Antietam Muster in October 2021

Help me out someone. I thought there was a post with the Thursday and Friday morning sidetrip itinerary all laid out. I can't find it now. James N.
As far as I know Thursday has "official" sanction; Friday morning at Shepherdstown seems to remain only a suggestion since I haven't heard anything definite about it from Tina @NH Civil War Gal. Friday afternoon after the initial meeting at the Hampton Inn is the trip to Harper's Ferry, so I thought Shepherdstown would be near enough to briefly tour and have time to return from. An alternate for Friday morning I'll also suggest here would be to instead look around the perimeter of Harper's Ferry specifically at the Union and Confederate positions and battle sites on Bolivar Heights, School House Ridge, and the Murphy Farm. We probably need to take a consensus of the members who will be onsite by then.

My plan is to spend all of Sunday afternoon at Antietam NMP. Never been to Antietam and not sure that I'll ever make it back there. I have a little time early Monday morning to play around somewhere else before heading to the airport.

As far as I know Thursday has "official" sanction; Friday morning at Shepherdstown seems to remain only a suggestion since I haven't heard anything definite about it from Tina @NH Civil War Gal. Friday afternoon after the initial meeting at the Hampton Inn is the trip to Harper's Ferry, so I thought Shepherdstown would be near enough to briefly tour and have time to return from. An alternate for Friday morning I'll also suggest here would be to instead look around the perimeter of Harper's Ferry specifically at the Union and Confederate positions and battle sites on Bolivar Heights, School House Ridge, and the Murphy Farm. We probably need to take a consensus of the members who will be onsite by then.
James, happy to go with the group on Friday morning be it Shepherdstown or Bolivar Heights/School House Ridge. Maybe your suggestion of Bolivar Heights would fit in better with Harpers Ferry in the afternoon as it's not far to go back to the hotel for the 12noon Official Kick Off. Also maybe something to bear in mind would be the $20 entry fee is only valid for three days (Fri, Sat, Sun)so Monday would not be an option.

James, happy to go with the group on Friday morning be it Shepherdstown or Bolivar Heights/School House Ridge. Maybe your suggestion of Bolivar Heights would fit in better with Harpers Ferry in the afternoon as it's not far to go back to the hotel for the 12noon Official Kick Off. Also maybe something to bear in mind would be the $20 entry fee is only valid for three days (Fri, Sat, Sun)so Monday would not be an option.
Tina and I are currently "in consultation" about this and will post it ASAP.

My plan is to spend all of Sunday afternoon at Antietam NMP. Never been to Antietam and not sure that I'll ever make it back there.
IF I make this Muster, I would like more time at Antietam also. Hope you can save a seat for me that afternoon. Of course everything is still in the planning stage.

IF I make this Muster, I would like more time at Antietam also. Hope you can save a seat for me that afternoon. Of course everything is still in the planning stage.
Please let me know if anyone is returning to Antietam Sunday. I'll still be in the area and would like more time there with knowledgeable companions.

https://www.shenandoahatwar.org/visit/signature-sites/winchester-area-sites/

I 'm heading south after the Muster. Here is a listing of things to see in the Winchester area. The site is about Civil War trips in the Shenandoah Valley, so it was a good find for me.
Don't miss the Courthouse Museum in Winchester - although the exhibits are good and there's an outstanding display of artillery projectiles recovered from the area, the most fascinating aspect is the relatively recently discovered (during the last building renovation) period graffiti made by soldiers when the building was used several times during the war as either a barracks or a prison.

Don't miss the Courthouse Museum in Winchester - although the exhibits are good and there's an outstanding display of artillery projectiles recovered from the area, the most fascinating aspect is the relatively recently discovered (during the last building renovation) period graffiti made by soldiers when the building was used several times during the war as either a barracks or a prison.
I second what James says about the Courthouse Museum! The graffiti is amazing! The building is beautiful inside and has amazing artifacts to enjoy.

The vast majority of what is in the Courthouse Museum in Winchester is from the collection of Harry Ridgeway and it is.well worth the stop

I guess I have 2 months to hash this out. Does CWT have any tentative plans for future Musters? It seems I've missed some good ones.
The next one will be Stones River/Franklin in the spring.

Back