Died: September 4, 1896

Place of Death: Columbia, Tennessee

Cause of Death: Heart Failure

Age at time of Death: 62 years old

Burial Place: University of South Sewanee, Tennessee

IMG_8074.JPG
IMG_8075.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoup is one of the more bizarre Confederate Generals. While several confederate generals were born in the northern states, most of them had moved to or had familial ties in the South. Shoup had lived most of his life in Indiana. He joined the CSA out of a sense of romanticism, apparently.
As Polloco noted, Shoup was cheif of artillery of the AoT under Joe Johnston during the first half of the North Georgia Campaign. He was also by technicality cheif engineer, and thus was responsible for designing the defense line along the Chattahoochee, designing his signature Shoupades. Sadly, Sherman flanked again and Johnston again retreated. This resulted in Johnston getting the sack. His cheif of staff, William Mackall, was furious and left with Johnston. Thus Shoup was elevated to Chief of Staff.

After the release from his Vicksburg capture he became Chief Artillerist for Gen.Joeseph Johnston during the first part of the Atlanta Campaign. When Hood took over Shoup became chief of staff until Hood's resignation.
Besides Johnston and Hood, Shoup also served under Hardee as Chief artillerist in the 3rd Corps and Hindman as adjutant.

5/10/62 Hqs, Western Dept, Corinth-G O #41 issued by Gen Beauregard
III Maj Francis Shoup is appointed Inspector of Arty & ordnance & will report to Col Gill chief of Arty & ordnance

http://www.rootsweb.com/~arlonoke/camp_nelson_cemetery.htm
6/15/62 S O #5 Army of the South West-Col F Shoup will assume command of Col Pleasants "1st​ Trans Miss Infy," Daniel's Lamar Arty & Hart's Co of Arty [with the Hvy Arty] & move tomorrow to Devall's Bluff.
When Nelson is cdg the Div his 2nd​ in command in his Bgde will lead his Bgde. Daniel's & Pratt's shall be the Btrys for this Div

7/7/62 Hqs T/M Dist, Little Rock-Hindman to Bragg-
For obvious reasons I have taken the liberty of addressing this to you as a private communication.
A number of officers of Regts east of the Ms River have been ordered to report to me, without any application on my part, & w/o any advantage to the service on this side of the river. I respectfully request that no more be sent for the present, in any event, unless applied for…
It is also due to the service, & to me, that I call attention to the really distressing situation in I am placed by the want of officers capable & fit to command Bgdes…
I implore you to send me Gen Cleburne & Col Marmaduke, & to unite with me in recommending the immediate appt as B Gen of Marmaduke & Major F A Shoup. With these two & Cleburne I would be 10,000 men better off. If I had them now, I could destroy Curtis in 10 days. As it is, I may be a fugitive in that time-For God's sake give me the relief I ask…

The 8th Ark Field Btry (1862–1865) was a Confederate Army Arty Btry during the American Civil War. Also known as: Shoup's Mountain Btry or Hughey's Btry

…After the battle of Pea Ridge, Gen Earl Van Dorn was ordered to move his Army of the West across the Ms and cooperate with Confederate forces in Northern Ms. Van Dorn stripped the state of military hardware of all types, including almost all the serviceable Arty. When Gen Hindman arrived to assume command of the new Trans-Ms District, he found almost nothing to command. He quickly began organizing new Regts, but his most pressing need was for arms for the new forces he was organizing, including the Arty.
Hindman's first order, dated May 31, 1862 at Little Rock, Gen Hindman announced his staff, including the appointment of Major Francis A. Shoup, Chief of Arty. Shoup had served as chief of Arty under Gen William J. Hardee. He was involved in the formation of the Arty position known as "Ruggles' Btry" during the Battle of Shiloh. Shoup, and his son, James C. Shoup came west across the Ms with Gen Hindman in May 1862…

9/29/62 Gen Hindman issued S O #8 from Little Rock which directed F. A. Shoup, now a Col, to take charge of the organization of the Arty from North West Ark and assigning certain "suitable officers to duty in the company now unorganized, and recommend them for appointment." These suitable officers included Lt's Huey (sic) and Miller. The organization of the Btry was apparently completed by 11/8 when S O 35, from Camp on the Mulberry River, assigned the following officers to duty in "Shoup's Mountain Btry":
J. C. Shoup Capt
W. M. Huey(sic) 1st Lt
W. A. Miller Jr. 1st Lt
G. F. Halliburton 2nd Lt [3]
The Btry was organized by details from various Ark Regts – mostly the 26th and 39th Ark Inf, and 4th Ark Cav; also, a handful of Mo and Texas details. There are no muster rolls in the CSRs from Hughey's Btry…

Back