Real or Faux? Shoulder Boards: Original or Repro?

highcastle57

Cadet
Hi Everybody, this is my first post. I came across these shoulder boards at an estate sale. After as thorough of research as I could manage I could not find any reproduction boards that match these but they do seem very similar to the authentic styles I came across. Does anyone have info on how I might establish their origin with certainty?
DSCN5926.JPG
DSCN5929.JPG

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I'm leaning modern originals as during the CW and Indian war they were sewn on and the clip on the back of yours is not period. These may be current used ones.
1565813391801.png

1565813473058.png

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I'm leaning modern originals as during the CW and Indian war they were sewn on and the clip on the back of yours is not period. These may be current used ones.
View attachment 320772
View attachment 320774
View attachment 320772
View attachment 320774
Thanks for the reply! Yeah the clips seem newer. It would be nice to see repros from any period that have gold like mine. Wondering just when reproductions began to be manufactured?

Modern version, The underside retaining/attachment clips and the relatively flattened wide gold bullion border edging are telltale indicators of same.
Thanks! The gold border is more rounded than what appears in the photo but I am thinking these are more recent but very well done repros. Wonder when repros started to appear?

Thanks! The gold border is more rounded than what appears in the photo but I am thinking these are more recent but very well done repros. Wonder when repros started to appear?
These arent reproductions per-se. They are still made and used on US Army full dress uniform attire.

Interesting. You never know what you may find at an estate sale! Also interesting about the bullion thread being rounder.

Back