Should there be a Confederate flag outside the MOC at Appomattox?

Should there be a Confederate flag outside the MOC at Appomattox?

• Yes - any Confederate flag including the CBF

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Yes - but not the CBF

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am almost afraid to ask this question as seems so much controversy on the subject of the flag. But does or did the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond have the Confereate flag outside? We were there two years ago but just don't remember. We took several pictures but they don't show a flag. I know it was a smaller entry space as White House of Confederacy on one side, then street and some kind of medical building on other.

Thanks to any one who knows or will answer.

I am almost afraid to ask this question as seems so much controversy on the subject of the flag. But does or did the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond have the Confereate flag outside? We were there two years ago but just don't remember. We took several pictures but they don't show a flag. I know it was a smaller entry space as White House of Confederacy on one side, then street and some kind of medical building on other.

Thanks to any one who knows or will answer.

p240455-Richmond-Museum_of_the_Confederacy.jpg

That picture Glorybound posted is quite nice. Certainly not 'in your face' or hiding inside a drawer. (Just for a little perspective, some tribal members were unhappy at the decision to put the US flag outside our cultural center/museum.)

My answer is this,

The Museum is a private entity and the property is private property with public access. I think the decision is best left to the owners of the museum/ property.

I am just as much against those who would demand it's removal if it were being flown as I am against those who demand it be flown.

In short I will side with the rights of the property owner(s) to decide themselves what they do or do not want to display.

Glorybound Thanks for the picture of MOC in Richmond. I remember that now.

As for the Confederate flag at MOC in either location I think it should be allowed to fly. It is the Museum of the Confederacy. Of course the US flag always is flown above all other flags, whether a state flag or what.

My answer is this,

The Museum is a private entity and the property is private property with public access. I think the decision is best left to the owners of the museum/ property.

I am just as much against those who would demand it's removal if it were being flown as I am against those who demand it be flown.

In short I will side with the rights of the property owner(s) to decide themselves what they do or do not want to display.

Yeah I agree with you 100 per cent. Private funding, private property, nobody is forced to go see it if they dont want to. Should be their choice.

The CBF iswas not(and is not now) the nat'l flag of the csa, nor the state flag of Va. It is a part of the history of the military arm of the confederacy only.
Strictly speaking, although, objectively there is no particular reason not to dispaly the CBF in the disputed area, but, in fact, experience has shown that its display is considered provocative by large segment of the population of the South, Va., and the United States.
IMO, the flag in question does not need to displayed in front of the MOC. As noted above, it is too clear to ignore(or be ignorant of) the history of controversys over that particular flag, and its display can only be seen as a deliberate attempt at continuing that controversy.

On this topic, we can vote our opinion all day long and then some.

The point is, the Museum of the Confederacy has decided to portray a certain moment in time, where flying the CBF is simply not historically accurate.

And this seems to be the biggest fault of those who would fly the flag at all costs, whenever and wherever THEY choose, despite fact, despite intent, despite any and all other attempts to understand the history of the war.

This attitude is pure faith, not fact, and faith needs no fact in "defending heritage" or "rendering honor to ones ancestors."

I don't know how many times it must be stated. There is no hope of extra innings, no hope of sneaking in a "win" for a cause defeated, and rightly so. The issue is settled, the war is over, and the Confederacy, no matter how many of its flags are flown and where, does not exist.

The artifacts and relics of that bygone time are where they should be, under glass, on display, with the clear intent to teach about that settled issue and the men who fought for it. Their history should be taught and the memory of their struggle maintained so that we can learn from history and not simple-minded efforts to twist or distort that history by trying to win a small victory in a war long lost.

The demands to fly a Confederate flag on the flag poles of a private institution shows a complete lack of understanding of supposedly what the men of that time were fighting for. The right to choose to go their own way, to decide issues for themselves without anyone else placing demands upon them from what they considered "outside" their region or state.

The demand to fly a Confederate flag at the Museum of the Confederacy shows an ignorance of history and a denial of what actually happened at Appomattox.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

On this topic, we can vote our opinion all day long and then some.

The point is, the Museum of the Confederacy has decided to portray a certain moment in time, where flying the CBF is simply not historically accurate.

And this seems to be the biggest fault of those who would fly the flag at all costs, whenever and wherever THEY choose, despite fact, despite intent, despite any and all other attempts to understand the history of the war.

This attitude is pure faith, not fact, and faith needs no fact in "defending heritage" or "rendering honor to ones ancestors."

I don't know how many times it must be stated. There is no hope of extra innings, no hope of sneaking in a "win" for a cause defeated, and rightly so. The issue is settled, the war is over, and the Confederacy, no matter how many of its flags are flown and where, does not exist.

The artifacts and relics of that bygone time are where they should be, under glass, on display, with the clear intent to teach about that settled issue and the men who fought for it. Their history should be taught and the memory of their struggle maintained so that we can learn from history and not simple-minded efforts to twist or distort that history by trying to win a small victory in a war long lost.

The demands to fly a Confederate flag on the flag poles of a private institution shows a complete lack of understanding of supposedly what the men of that time were fighting for. The right to choose to go their own way, to decide issues for themselves without anyone else placing demands upon them from what they considered "outside" their region or state.

The demand to fly a Confederate flag at the Museum of the Confederacy shows an ignorance of history and a denial of what actually happened at Appomattox.

Sincerely,
Unionblue
I don't think anyone was "demanding" anything. They were just offering opinions like myself.

...The issue is settled, the war is over, and the Confederacy, no matter how many of its flags are flown and where, does not exist....

Sincerely,
Unionblue
What about the word Confederacy? Do we need to drop that?

"Museum of the ___?___."

The Confederacy is something of great historical interest; it existed for 4 years. It no longer exists, no matter how much some wished it did. It's flag has a place in historical reference and that's about it.

Does the MoC have the right to fly whatever flag it wishes? Yeppers. Does it have the right not to fly a flag that a large segment of society has come to believe represents the worst of this country? Yeppers.

Is it appropriate to fly a CBF at the expense of other flags? Not really... and the MoC doesn't have a recent history of that. They also don't have a recent history of in your face obnoxious behavior. They seem to favor actual history; making available research and some absolutley phenomenal artifacts.

The MoC has one of the most extensive collections of actual CBF's that were actually used during the war by the men who... gasp... actually fought under those same flags. They are almost literally mobile grave stones. They're inside in a climate controlled environment preserving those flags for generations to come. They are respectfully, if not reverantly, displayed. I applaud the efforts of the MoC to preserve & protect the artifacts in their collection. I also applaud their effort to, intentionally or unintentionally, refuse to cheapen those flags by flying a cheap polyester approximation of one outside.

Now some yahoos who have a modern political agenda want to add controversy by flying a flag that has attracted all kinds of negative attention in particular w/ connection to the Civil Rights movement and "Black Americana". Do they have that right? Absolutely. Does the MoC have the right to do as it deems best in respect to their own facility... I think so. But it would appear that because they don't want to fly a Perkins sized CBF out front some have their panties in a bunch. To the extent that they plan to withold donations and encourage others to as well... putting those artifacts in jeapordy or keeping them from being viewed due to lack of funding. I now know beyond a shadow of doubt where those of a certain stripe stand in regard to the preservation of history. It's their coin and they can do what they will w/ it. Just don't tell me w/ a straight face a year from now they're all that interested in preservation because they have a different agenda and preservation is clearly not a priority w/in that agenda.

I think that they should display one or all three of the national flags of the Confederacy. The battle flag (originals) will be displayed inside through exhibits. But I also agree with the sentiment that this is a private entity and they have the right to display whatever flag that they want to.

I think that they should display one or all three of the national flags of the Confederacy. The battle flag (originals) will be displayed inside through exhibits. But I also agree with the sentiment that this is a private entity and they have the right to display whatever flag that they want to.

Delhi Rangers,

A fair view of your opinion and an excellent opinion on the status of the Museum of the Confederacy and its present staff.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

That's what I said, but where is the "demanding" that you referenced?

From many groups of people outside this form. The Virginia Flaggers, the SCV (not all of the camps, but the national organization is apparently demanding such), and certain other groups of folks who claim that somehow their heritage is being violated or that their ancestors are being insulted.

Simply type in the words, "Museum of the Confederacy at Appomattox" on your search engine and you will see.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back