Limited Should the J.P. Gillis Flag (a.k.a. the Bideman Flag) be considered a 'Confederate' flag?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
For the Independence Day celebration in Sacramento on July 4, 1861 secessionist Major George P. Gilliss marched with a pro secession flag. His flag was 'captured'. The J. P. Gilliss flag was based on the Confederate First National Flag. Although the California secessionist were not successful in having Southern California secede from California and form a new Confederate state, should we consider the J. P. Gilliss secession flag be considered a "Confederate" flag? Even if the Sothern California secession movement was not successful should this impact our thoughts about this flag?

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
I have one displayed with my other CW items and over my bookcase and I know some SCV Camps here in CA most certainly consider it a "Confederate" flag. I got mine from them! LOL!
I look at it as a piece of California history that not a lot of people know about. I've volunteered at our local Civil War event here a couple of times and love to talk about the history of the Gillis flag.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I have one displayed with my other CW items and over my bookcase and I know some SCV Camps here in CA most certainly consider it a "Confederate" flag. I got mine from them! LOL!
I look at it as a piece of California history that not a lot of people know about. I've volunteered at our local Civil War event here a couple of times and love to talk about the history of the Gillis flag.

Well I have only heard a bit about it. I am sure you could tell me tons of information I do not know.

AshleyMel

2nd Lieutenant
I wish I actually knew more! Lol!
I know that Gillis made/designed the flag himself after the First National but with 17 stars.
I have wondered if it is still on display at the State Capital Museum. A few hours drive from me so maybe a visit in the future.