Should Leaders of The Confederacy Be Honored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to decide. Individual should honor who they wish. I guess local governments can honor whoever they people there want to honor. But the US government should not honor them.

Vote Here:
They were honored
See attached
And Stone Mountain Park
Here is another:
1925 Commerative half dollar.
The Good Guys lol
Poor picture by a poor photographer!
The inscription on the reverse:
"Memorial to the Valor of the Soldier of the South"

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 53
Vote Here:
Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting to read how both could be honored.
It doesn't necessarily have to be either or in my opinion........

Another thing that nags me in these discussions in relation to battlefields particularly ......try to say it without becoming too much of the M word.....But at some of the best preserved/interpreted battlefields is a statue or plaque meant more to honor someone, or interpret the people and events that occurred on that part of the field? For example brigade commanders at Vicksburg.

Vote Here:
Not sure why this topic keeps coming around--there will never be a consensus among those of us that dispute the matter for either "honoring" or criticizing these people (those that created and prosecuted this civil war against America).

Easy: There are those who will be provoked repeatedly by the same questions, and there are those who are entertained by asking these questions. Nothing changes, so around the mulberry bush we go...

Vote Here:
The difference would be that the Yankees chose to accept Southern **** rather than confront a Race Issue North or South. The South gave them what they wanted Economic Grouth and latter supported them with their Imperialism bout with the Spanish American War. Yankee Republicans blew up the Civil Rights Act in 1883 with Supreme Court Ruling US vs Stanley. Accepted the Lost Cause narrative. Easier to do that than confront Racism, which the North had a problem with. All at the expense of the Negro. South was paying taxes again. What Lincoln wanted all along. Yep seems both were on the same page. Edited by Chellers as moderator.

Anything else is pretty much a Yankee Myth.

I had said I thought it was a bit odd that American military bases named after generals responsible for the deaths of U.S. troops, and that was the point I was making about Benedict Arnold. If Arnold or any number of American officers that commanded Tory miltia units are inappropriate figures to have lend their name to U.S. military installations on a similar basis, than why is it appropriate to name bases after Hood, Jackson, or Bragg?

The round of whataboutism in your reply did not answer that question.

Vote Here:
Well, it makes for some lively "discussions" (if they can be called that).

I just wish we would occasionally be offered a live horse to whack with our sicks.

I've seen numerous threads started (not by me) asking in one way or the other about honoring confederate leaders.
Thus, I though it made sense to ask the question directly in the form of an opinion poll to get an idea where the forum stands.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
I've seen numerous threads started (not be me) asking in one way or the other about honoring confederate leaders.
Thus, I though it made sense to ask the question directly in the form of an opinion poll to get an idea where the forum stands.
At latest count there are 16,781 CWT members.
You have at present 53 votes cast.
You are not getting any idea of "where the forum stands." Not that "the forum" (a group of individuals) has a "stand" to take.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
At latest count there are 16,781 CWT members.
You have at present 53 votes cast.
You are not getting any idea of "where the forum stands." No that "the forum" (a group of individuals) has a "stand" to take.
John, no one forced anyone to click this link and participate. If it is not to one’s interest, liking etc., simply read and participate in other threads but not this one.

Posted as moderator

Vote Here:
John, no one forced anyone to click this link and participate. If it is not to one’s interest, liking etc., simply read and participate in other threads but not this one.

Posted as moderator
I agree. Lots of threads to participate in and free to create one to someone's liking.

Vote Here:
Easy: There are those who will be provoked repeatedly by the same questions, and there are those who are entertained by asking these questions. Nothing changes, so around the mulberry bush we go...

Trivia for the evening
Reference
HERE WE GO ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH (1840)
“Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush” is often sung as part of a children’s game. According to historian R. S. Duncan, a former governor of England’s Wakefield Prison, the song originated with that 420-year-old institution’s female prisoners, who were exercised around a mulberry tree. Which is probably not the connotation your six-year-old self had in mind

Vote Here:
I didn't say honor just pointing out that even before the Emancipation Proclamation not all Union troops were fighting to maintain slavery.
If we honor Quantrill and Archie Clements why not honor Jenison?
Leftyhunter

War asks all to do unthinkable things. There were men on both sides that took advantage of that to become their true selves. Murderers, rapist, and criminals of all ilks have and will surface during war, all wars. Morality is often the first casualty of conflict. None deserve the honor of being associated with soldiers who serve well despite the temptations offered by war that demands so much.

Vote Here:
Gem, Your hobby seems to be launching threads on controversial topics guaranteed to make people argue and get angry with each other. I did not vote for that reason. The only true answer to this questions is: "It depends on one's point of view". The possible answers are yes and no, and neither of them is correct or wrong. The choice depends on one's point of view.
Where is the LOVE button!! Don't be so obvious in your baiting, Gem. This Forum is too intelligent for that.

Vote Here:
Where is the LOVE button!! Don't be so obvious in your baiting, Gem. This Forum is too intelligent for that.
Agree
Always put gem on the ignore list or ignore the threads. Otherwise kind of like going to Walmart and complaining they carry a brand of coffee you don't like. You don't have to buy it. You don't even have have to look at it.

Vote Here:
The leaders of the Confederacy? Maybe. For the majority of the rank and file yeoman farmers, many of whom were conflicted by the issues, yes. They believed their hearths and homes to be in mortal danger and did what brave men have always done, risk their lives to repel the danger. I have always thought that such men, throughout history, regardless of the merits of their government's cause, deserve the thankful, honorable, remembrance of the folks they tried to protect.

Vote Here:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back