Should I Participate in the Following Battles....

I have several questions in response to your question "Should I participate in the following Battles?":

1. Why are you asking the question?
2. What drives you to share CW History?
3. Are you a member of a CW Reenactment Group that participates in these events or would you joining the fun as an individual?
4. How would you like to participate . . . Federal? Confederate? Civilian? Infantry? Calvary? Artillery? Signal? Medical? etc., etc., etc.,

Of course my answer is always "YES!" if you have the time, energy, and money for travel. What better way to meet others involved in sharing history and to learn more about those specific Battles and the individuals who participated in them.

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

I have several questions in response to your question "Should I participate in the following Battles?":

1. Why are you asking the question?
2. What drives you to share CW History?
3. Are you a member of a CW Reenactment Group that participates in these events or would you joining the fun as an individual?
4. How would you like to participate . . . Federal? Confederate? Civilian? Infantry? Calvary? Artillery? Signal? Medical? etc., etc., etc.,

Of course my answer is always "YES!" if you have the time, energy, and money for travel. What better way to meet others involved in sharing history and to learn more about those specific Battles and the individuals who participated in them.

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

I'm Asking that question because, I'm joining the 34th, (Confederate/Infantry) Since I live near those Battlefields.
As well I love CW (my Favorite Part of History)

I'm Asking that question because, I'm joining the 34th, (Confederate/Infantry) Since I live near those Battlefields.
As well I love CW (my Favorite Part of History)

Then you answered your own question. Enjoy! Adventure is out there!!

I'm not aware of any annual Vicksburg reenactment, or even a Petersburg given your area and Vicksburg being a long way from the Eastern Theater sites. Heck I don't even think there's a Fort Sumter event.

But as for attending them, attend what you can! Though life has kept me from making the "pilgrimage" as some call it to Gettysburg in my decade and a half of reenacting, its a must for any reenactor. If your not a reenactor and just want to see a battlefield go to those and look into going to other hundred or so battlefields in your area, every one is worth the visit.

@CWH1234:

Being a new comer to reenacting, it's not about the number of events you participate in, but the experience. Remember quality over quantity. Take it slow until you become a veteran reenactor.

James N. is one of the most experienced living historians on this forum and I hope he would weigh in on this matter.

Reenacting is changing right now, with the baby boomer generation fading back in participation, anniversary mega-events concluding, communication patterns changing within the reenacting community (facebook vs forums, etc). The first question you want to answer is: what do you want out of reenacting? Do you have a passion for one troop type (I.e. infantry, cavalry, artillery) over another? Are you interested in the civilian world? What style of reenacting do you want: mainstream which has clearly defined public hours and allows a particpant to enter in and out of the experience - or the immersive campaign experience where the participant stays with the experience until its over? Not a fun question, but, how much money do you want to spend? Some styles and impressions are less expensive than others to start or maintain. (And, sad to say, sometimes in reenacting spending money is equated with high commitment level.)
As a beginner, our first step should be reaching out to a unit and joining. Then attend with them as you're able. The best annual schedule consists of some small events, some easy to get to local events, some large events and some that require more planning and effort to particpate. If every event is the same thing, but in a different place, you burn out.

In that case, part of the question is answered: Go to the events your unit goes to. If you need loaner gear, they will be able to help, and attending events together builds comraderie and goodwill.

Back