Shotgun Hammer Allen Thurber Pepperbox

RobertH

Private
I've been wanting one of these, and finally one came available so I snagged it. But it will be a project. It's missing the main spring and the grips. I can make both I guess, but would love to find another Allen Thurber pepperbox parts gun if anybody knows of one?? At least find a main spring. Finding grips that fit perfectly is a lost cause I'm sure.

Not a lot written about the Shotgun Hammer Pepperboxes that I've seen, but I think only about 200 were made. This one is sn# 61. I guess they weren't real big sellers, so they were discontinued.
I love this pistol, it is in awesome shape. It has a thick layer of gunk on it, the gunk has the consistency of concrete. But the engravings are perfect (underneath the gunk). And the nipples look barely used. A lot of times the nipples are deformed on pepperboxes. It was exciting to open the box when it arrived and see the actual condition. It looked good in the pics when I bid on it, but even better then I expected. I think it was barely used, but stored untouched with maybe animal fat or something on it. And the grease just turned to black concrete. Any thoughts?

thumbnail_20210407_081946_mfnr.jpg

thumbnail_20210407_082015.jpg

thumbnail_20210407_082110_mfnr.jpg

thumbnail_20210407_082129_mfnr.jpg

Cool.
So this is fire a "shotgun" pattern. Weren't the typical ones more of a revolver with a cap on each barrel?

No, not intentionally anyways. The "shotgun" only refers to the hammer. Just a nickname because of the shape of the hammer.

Oh! i got it. Each barrel does fire separately. The grip had a guard that covers the exposed caps.

I missed the part “shotgun” related to the type of hammer.

I saw a pepperbox just like yours today at the Corinth CW Relic Show.

Plus, I saw this rare version that has 5 barrels instead of 6. Note hot this one doesn't have a shield that covers the exposed nipples as the 6-barrel version has.
Pepperbox 5-barrel.jpg

I saw a pepperbox just like yours today at the Corinth CW Relic Show.

Plus, I saw this rare version that has 5 barrels instead of 6. Note hot this one doesn't have a shield that covers the exposed nipples as the 6-barrel version has.

Did you buy it? What were they asking for the Shotgun Hammer pepperbox? I need a parts gun.

No. I would like to shoot one, though.

i forget as I saw several different “pocket pistols”. Im sure this one was priced at $500 range.

Back