Shot Seven Times at Sharpsburg – Private S. Hill of the 27th Georgia

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
1586435370716.png

Private Slaughter Hill of Company F, 27th Georgia Infantry, was wounded and captured at Sharpsburg (Antietam) on September 17, 1862, according to his Compiled Service Records. His pension application of April 1893 adds considerable more detail:

“My right arm was broken and injured in such a way as to render it substantially useless. 2d, my left hand was struck by minnie [sic] ball breaking all the fingers and causing loss of next to little finger. 3d, I was shot in right side breaking a rib on each side and wounding right lung and I still suffer pain in it nearly all the time, the least exertion causing spitting of blood. 4th, I was shot about middle of thigh, the ball going clear through and injuring nerves of leg and producing loss of feeling to some extent and weakness of said [leg]. 5th, I was struck on shin bone of left leg, breaking the bone and passing through heel string, causing such leg to be substantially useless. 6th, I was shot in corner of right eye, causing almost the entire loss of sight of said eye.” S. Hill (signed by his mark “X”).

His comrade, Jesse Shinholster, attested that Hill was shot seven times during the battle; apparently the seventh wound was minor and not worth mentioning. Dr. G. W. Newsom, who conducted a physical examination and described the above wounds, added that Hill had trouble breathing after exertion, and had a hacking cough.

Source: Georgia Virtual Vault, Pension Applications, Taylor County, https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/TestApps/id/570681/rec/161

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 354271

Private Slaughter Hill of Company F, 27th Georgia Infantry, was wounded and captured at Sharpsburg (Antietam) on September 17, 1862, according to his Compiled Service Records. His pension application of April 1893 adds considerable more detail:

“My right arm was broken and injured in such a way as to render it substantially useless. 2d, my left hand was struck by minnie [sic] ball breaking all the fingers and causing loss of next to little finger. 3d, I was shot in right side breaking a rib on each side and wounding right lung and I still suffer pain in it nearly all the time, the least exertion causing spitting of blood. 4th, I was shot about middle of thigh, the ball going clear through and injuring nerves of leg and producing loss of feeling to some extent and weakness of said [leg]. 5th, I was struck on shin bone of left leg, breaking the bone and passing through heel string, causing such leg to be substantially useless. 6th, I was shot in corner of right eye, causing almost the entire loss of sight of said eye.” S. Hill (signed by his mark “X”).

His comrade, Jesse Shinholster, attested that Hill was shot seven times during the battle; apparently the seventh wound was minor and not worth mentioning. Dr. G. W. Newsom, who conducted a physical examination and described the above wounds, added that Hill had trouble breathing after exertion, and had a hacking cough.

Source: Georgia Virtual Vault, Pension Applications, Taylor County, https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digital/collection/TestApps/id/570681/rec/161
all that and he was STILL a private??????

Did he survive? On second read, I guess so if he has a pension record?
He did survive. Believe it or not, there were two men named "Slaughter Hill" living in Macon and Oglethorpe Georgia (60 miles apart.) It's hard to determine which one was the one who served in the 27th GA. After the war, one of the men named Slaughter Hill was shot in the shoulder by a shotgun. I'm betting it was the same guy. :unsure: "Hill is not considered dangerously wounded."
1586532437541.png

Back