Shot in the "Portmonic" - Pvt. Sherwood Cooper Lindsay 10th Mississippi at Chickamauga

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1556768996224.png

Apparently a portmonic is a pocket book or wallet. :D Sounds like the contents were destroyed, but he was spared injury.

Don't you love these names? ' Portmontic '. First time I've ever come across that, thank you for increasing my 19th century vocabulary although NOW I'll be late getting out an order while looking these up.

Somewhere I'm sure someone's put together a book on these little miracles " Why I should be dead and lived to tell about it ". Just read an era account where a man was sitting perched ( I think ) on his cannon. His buddy said he saw the guy leap suddenly from his seat, a shell passing where he'd been sitting. Soldier couldn't explain why he'd done it.

You just know Lindsay sewed a new portmonic ( sounds like a ship, not something you wear ) and put those lucky fragments back in it. Talk about a talisman.

sounds like a ship, not something you wear
It really does! I had never heard the word before either.

Could you please identify which newspaper and date of the article?
Of course. Always happy to provide a source. [Weekly Columbus Enquirer. (Columbus, Ga.), September 29, 1863, page 2.]

I also located this post-war sketch about the subject of the OP, Sherwood Cooper Lindsay
1556947005464.png

1556947161550.png
1556947194687.png

Source: Confederate Military History, Clement A. Evans, Volume VI, Confederate Publishing Company, Atlanta, GA., 1899, page 793.

I'm still stuck at Portmontic. I've always wanted the job where you get paid to make this stuff up. Paint chips at the hardware store are an ambition. You know. " Brightest frog's dawn ", " whitest brilliant white's white " , " smokey beef July '. They make no sense either but it's pretty entertaining. ( just made those up, bet they're somewhere at Lowe's anyway. )

Back