Shooting a new Pedersoli 1853 Enfield

Tin cup

Captain
Well, today I got to get to the range with a friend, and try out his new Pedersoli 1853 Enfield. This is the same Repro I talked about in:https://civilwartalk.com/threads/1st-look-at-pedersoli-enfield.130980/

We were really wanting to find out:
1. How the point of impact was in relation to the point of aim, as set by the factory.
2. Could the rifle group at all.

We set up at the gun range at 50 yards. I had made up 40 cartridges, using a 480 grain Rapine Old Style Minie, sized .577", and 60 grains of KiK FFg Black Powder, lubed with beeswax/olive oil. I wanted to duplicate the standard US style ammo used in the war. Bullets were grouped by weight, we didn't mix 480 grain, with 485 grain, and 483 grain bullets. We kept them in their prospective weight groups.

Well, Immediately it was clear that the WINDAGE was spot on, and as hoped, with the rear sight set on the lowest notch, the groups were high at 50 yards, but well centered! I am betting that when we get out again, and set up at 100 yards, it should be about dead on.

The best group was one I shot, using a full sand-bagged rest, was 5 shots that were 2-3/8" center to center. (Group pictured), just above the target. I did shoot another group of 5 shots, but one was WAY off due to my jerking the trigger. 4 of those shots were in a 1-3/4" group. (Second group pictured) We had no real problems loading thru the shooting session, obviously my lube choice was OK.

Now, this was just a preliminary outing, I have 2 other bullet designs to try out in this rifle. More experiments in powder loads, powder types, KiK, GOEX, FFg, FFFg, a whole list of combinations are to be yet tried, but we were pleased with the results today!

Kevin Dally

Attachments

• Shooting Pedersoli 1.jpg
    Shooting Pedersoli 1.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Shooting Pedersoli 9.jpg
    Shooting Pedersoli 9.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Shooting Pedersoli 10.jpg
    Shooting Pedersoli 10.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Looks like a great day and some good shooting. Even with the trigger jerk it appears from my old Army training they were all pretty well center mass.

I'm sorry with the million questions but how hard was it to load?
QUESTIONS I don't mind!

It wasn't hard at all really, the lube was doing it's job, the bullets were CLOSE to the bore size, never had any trouble starting them into the muzzle. There came a point where near the muzzle the bullet would take a bit of a nudge to push on thru, but past that point, no problems. The Range officer didn't want any "Double Tapping" LOL! They had never seen anyone load and shoot a Civil War type rifle, they were impressed!

Kevin Dally

Well done with the Pedersoli P-53! It sounds as if the range officers need some familiarization training with Civil War muskets. Kevin Dally, although you probably know this, I will say it for those who may not. If a muzzle loader is fouling near the muzzle the lube isn't working and needs some attention and adjustment.
J.

Well done with the Pedersoli P-53! It sounds as if the range officers need some familiarization training with Civil War muskets. Kevin Dally, although you probably know this, I will say it for those who may not. If a muzzle loader is fouling near the muzzle the lube isn't working and needs some attention and adjustment.
J.
We had three bullets that seemed a bit hard to get past that point, but afterwards the rest were as easy as the first one.

Kevin Dally

Back