Shooters, any BP suggestions?

CowCavalry

First Sergeant
So I want to order some powder, caps, lead, etc. Any suggestions on where and what to buy? The last powder I purchased was years ago and it was Goex But now I see Swiss and Schetzen available, and Goex "Ode Eynsford".

So I want to order some powder, caps, lead, etc. Any suggestions on where and what to buy? The last powder I purchased was years ago and it was Goex But now I see Swiss and Schetzen available, and Goex "Ode Eynsford".
All I can add is be prepared for Hazmat charges. The last time I ordered stuff to fire my cannon the Hazmat charges were $30

I use Goex, and it works perfectly fine. Never had a problem with it. Never tried another brand nor feel the need to.

Where I have been fussy is with musket caps. Compared to others I have used, I would say the Schuetzen caps are fantastic. They have a powerful blast and I would highly recommend those. Apparently the CCI musket caps are quite weak, though I can't say I have used them, nor will I ever try to....once you go Schuetzen there is no reason to try any other brand.

CCI does make excellent percussion caps for pistols (#10 and #11 sizes). Be aware that there are slight differences in sizes of pistol caps from different manufacturers. For example, if you compare Remington and CCI #10 caps, one of the brands is slighter larger in diameter (enough to notice when you seat them on the nipple), so experiment and see which one fits better on the nipples of your particular gun.

It depends on how serious you are. The shooters on the U.S. International Muzzle Loading Team generally use Swiss powder and RWS (German) percussion caps. Having shot various lots of almost everything that has been available for the last 25 years over my chronograph, Swiss powder is VERY consistent from lot to lot. While standard deviation is not everything, the worst lot of Swiss that I fired had half the standard deviation of the best lot of GOEX.

After that:
Olde Enysford (which I think is just better lots of GOEX)
GOEX
Schutzen

Regards,
Don Dixon

Its been years but I always had better fitment with the CCI caps over the Remington's for revolvers.

For reenacting purposes I prefer Goex powder and RWS (German) caps. The old 6 wing CCI caps got a bad rap in the reenacting world for coming apart and hitting the guy next in line in the face. I hear they are improved but haven't used them myself.

For reenacting purposes I prefer Goex powder and RWS (German) caps. The old 6 wing CCI caps got a bad rap in the reenacting world for coming apart and hitting the guy next in line in the face. I hear they are improved but haven't used them myself.
The recent 4-wing CCI musket caps are mainly for re-enactors. Their blast is too weak for reliable ignition for shooting/hunting.

I haven't tried it but there is a brand known as JACK'S BATTLE POWDER. As I understand it its for blanks and consists of mixed sizes and even black powder "dust" Main thing about it is that its CHEAPER BY SEVERAL DOLLARS COMPARED TO GOEX SWISS ETC.
For live rounds I like Swiss. Seems to burn a bit cleaner and the fouling remains a bit moist than Goex or Shutzen. Bad thing is that Swiss clumps together kind of like the Curtis & Harvey powder made in Scotland. Lumps break up easily but I get spooky about that. I have some Olde Eynsford but haven't used it much. From what other shooters claim this powder is better for bp cartridge reloading. I think Elephant brand disappeared at least I haven't seen any in years. And a friend brought me some Alient MZ which is a bp substitute similar to Pyrodex. Will play with it and see what gives. Let us know what you tried.

I haven't tried it but there is a brand known as JACK'S BATTLE POWDER.

I'm pretty sure I've used it almost exclusively for years under the name Jack's Powder Keg. Mainly because I reenact around and know the owner if this is what I'm pretty sure it is. Google sure thinks their one in the same. The "Battle Powder" works with live rounds, but is mainly meant for blanks.

I've shot it and had no problems. Decent accuracy too, unless its in an IAB Sharps reproduction. Only way I could get it shoot straight with any powder was the max recommended load.

Though to be fair I mainly use it because I get the stuff when registering at reenactments, and have helped the proprietor a few times getting some extra as a reward. Its made in Louisiana, and is all over the place here in the Ark-La-Tex. Thanks to such things I genuinely can't remember the last time I went to a store and bought powder.

I have never ordered Black Powder by mail. But it seems to be getting harder to find. Thankfully I have enough lead ingots to keep me stocked up.
I've always used Pyrodex but bought some Hodgdon Triple 7. It seems to be a little hotter.

May I ask a question?

Between trips to the range, I put my powder flask and opened powder "can" into zip-lock bags to seal out any moisture. For long term storage, I put my powder in a metal Ammo Can. Now some of you don't live in a humid environment so this may not be an issue.
Q: Would temporary storage in a zip-lock bag help keep the powder in my flask dry??

Q: Would temporary storage in a zip-lock bag help keep the powder in my flask dry??

I don't know about that. If there's moisture in the air when you put it in the back its just gonna get sealed in with the powder.

I've used a lock box for years, with a little discreet modification involving rubber where it closes, and have never had powder ruined.

I don't know about that. If there's moisture in the air when you put it in the back its just gonna get sealed in with the powder.

I've used a lock box for years, with a little discreet modification involving rubber where it closes, and have never had powder ruined.
I'm not worried about mold or whatever----it will just clump up. Probably not enough moisture to create a mis-fire. It is just a routine I started and have always used. If I came back with a powder Horn that was half full, I would put it in a baggie. One of the habits I picked up from my wife--who uses tons of baggies and paper towels.

When I come home from shooting I usually empty the flask back into the can it came out of and re-seal it. That black powder can eat up the inside of a brass or copper flask. G I ammo boxes are good for storing and transporting powder cans. I have an old refridgerator that still has a good seal around the door, the old motor just gave up the ghost so I don't plug it in. Must have a dozen cans in her maybe more
Yep, remember Jack's Powder Keg. The Beaumont group bought from him. Talked to him on the phone and seemed like a nice guy. Best way to buy powder is by the case. Order on line. 25 pounds goes a long way.

When I come home from shooting I usually empty the flask back into the can it came out of and re-seal it. That black powder can eat up the inside of a brass or copper flask. G I ammo boxes are good for storing and transporting powder cans. I have an old refridgerator that still has a good seal around the door, the old motor just gave up the ghost so I don't plug it in. Must have a dozen cans in her maybe more
Yep, remember Jack's Powder Keg. The Beaumont group bought from him. Talked to him on the phone and seemed like a nice guy. Best way to buy powder is by the case. Order on line. 25 pounds goes a long way.
Yes, 25 lbs would last a long long time lol. One of the reasons I haven't ordered yet.

I like the Remingtons as they are a little longer
I like Remington too. Good ignition and easy to remove if you have to cross a fence with a loaded gun. The older Remingtons seem to be weaker. I bought some at a garage sale. Still sealed but didn't seem to have the "umph" that the newer batches have. Still went "bang" so I keep those for practice and plinking

Back