Shoeing a "Refractory Mule"

I don't think they are myself--ears are too 'horse like.' Mules have 'rabbit ears.' The picture is still labeled as it is by the LoC and how to locate it later.

I tried enlarging it.....the near hind horse does look a bit more mulish, but the others totally don't (and I don't really think it is, either). I agree.....but what do you expect the LoC to know about horses? :smile:

Really had to hold that mule down like that just to shoe it? Must of been one really, REALLY, stubborn mule!

Really had to hold that mule down like that just to shoe it? Must of been one really, REALLY, stubborn mule!

Not unheard of, even in this day and time. Once an equine has had some bad experiences with being shod, they tend to freak. I'm sure these guys had no time and it was the fastest way to deal with him.

More likely just trying to protect itself. They are prey animals, and taking away their ability to flee by grabbing their feet isn't natural. It takes training for them to learn to accept it, how to balance themselves, etc. But by trying to force it on them, you may get it done, with a lot of dust stirring and possible injury to yourself and the mule, but you're training the mule that being shod is a dangerous and frightening experience -- thus you have to get rougher and rougher to get it done because you're training the mule to fight you. With every bad experience, the behavior becomes more and more ingrained.

Much easier on all parties in the long run to do it right in the first place.

My dad had to tie down a few horses in his time because someone else had done what Ms. Hale is explaining--hurt or scared them so badly, they couldn't be touched. Unfortunately, this also usually means their feet are in terrible shape....which can end up being fatal to a horse or pony (He made a habit of buying foundered ponies and rehabbing their feet, then selling for a profit to folks who promised to continue having him shoe them. Sort of his good deed with a profit included.) It was a good thing for my daughter, who always had a pony to ride!

However......I want to emphasize that he gradually worked with those horses that had to be tied down, and he was always thrilled when (after several sessions) he had them standing properly and their feet in good shape. It was a thing of beauty to see the changes in horses which had formerly been dangerous to themselves and others....and it was a point of pride with him.

Last edited:
More likely just trying to protect itself. They are prey animals, and taking away their ability to flee by grabbing their feet isn't natural. It takes training for them to learn to accept it, how to balance themselves, etc. But by trying to force it on them, you may get it done, with a lot of dust stirring and possible injury to yourself and the mule, but you're training the mule that being shod is a dangerous and frightening experience -- thus you have to get rougher and rougher to get it done because you're training the mule to fight you. With every bad experience, the behavior becomes more and more ingrained.

Much easier on all parties in the long run to do it right in the first place.
very true k

Prince and Queen always had a special place in The Dad's heart. They served him well and got to spend the rest of their lives eating lush grass. That was after he got the John Deere A. And the Farmall F12. They died within days of each other. Dolly wasn't quite so well favored and Star did want to kill each of us. "When Star is out, head for the pump." Gee. Those who didn't grow up on a farm have missed so much fun.

Two horses who were treasued, one who was muderous, and one who was a tolerated renegade. Hey! I'm not kidding about Star. He would kill in a second. So we had orders to get the pump between us if he was loose. Why didn't the dad simply shoot him? I have no idea. Maybe it was because a horse had value to someone. Don't recall where he went. After all, I was about five at the time.

A horse, nevermind its size and power, is a fragile animal.Beat it and it will become either mean or cowed. You don't get to choose.Whatever. It remains quite large and, if it doesn't like you, it will stomp you into a smear of bloody snot.

Be kind to your horse and it will not be inclined to make a mess of your body. Unless you have a Star who wanted you dead. They're not all rational.

Evan,

I had a horse that had to be shod that way--it was from being 'roughed up' by a farrier/blacksmith. Until a farrier came the horse was sweat and gentle. Any farrier come near him, he would peel inside out and try hard to flee and get free. The horse was deformed in the head where the hammer or whatever was used on him. The farrier had to battle my horse along with me due to corrective shoeing as to preserve the hoof and soundness. The horse remained unshod for the rest of the time. It could have been the farrier pricked the 'quick' causing pain and didn't immediately remove the nail and leave that spot alone. Whatever happened, it was a terrible memory for that horse and the consequences were all the future owners and farriers to deal with.

Even with me trimming and picking out his feet, that horse was a nervous wreck.

Unfortunately, there was no way to ascertain this horse's story--it was saved from slaughter put in a rent-a-horse stable where I first met this horse.

Those new 'crocs' for horses though--and glue on horseshoes are the ticket for these kind of abused equines but, they weren't available in my time. Those rubber boots that had those wire tension gizmos to keep them on were just starting to be known-- (pre-Internet) through racing circles.

M. E. Wolf

Last edited:
Evan,

I had a horse that had to be shod that way--it was from being 'roughed up' by a farrier/blacksmith. Until a farrier came the horse was sweat and gentle. Any farrier come near him, he would peel inside out and try hard to flee and get free. The horse was deformed in the head where the hammer or whatever was used on him. The farrier had to battle my horse along with me due to corrective shoeing as to preserve the hoof and soundness. The horse remained unshod for the rest of the time. It could have been the farrier pricked the 'quick' causing pain and didn't immediately remove the nail and leave that spot alone. Whatever happened, it was a terrible memory for that horse and the consequences were all the future owners and farriers to deal with.

Even with me trimming and picking out his feet, that horse was a nervous wreck.

Unfortunately, there was no way to ascertain this horse's story--it was saved from slaughter put in a rent-a-horse stable where I first met this horse.

Those new 'crocs' for horses though--and glue on horseshoes are the ticket for these kind of abused equines but, they weren't available in my time. Those rubber boots that had those wire tension gizmos to keep them on were just starting to be known-- (pre-Internet) through racing circles.

M. E. Wolf

At least my horses aren't like that! I just got thinking... imaging castrating a horse or mule that's nervous like that! I don't even think the Mennonite method (my area Mennonites: horse in crossties, ropes around back legs and two men hold tightly- another snips away) would work!

At least my horses aren't like that! I just got thinking... imaging castrating a horse or mule that's nervous like that! I don't even think the Mennonite method (my area Mennonites: horse in crossties, ropes around back legs and two men hold tightly- another snips away) would work!

I'm not sure about your Mennonites but, they might wash the target area with clove oil, which is sort of like Ambesole (that stuff that deadens tooth pain and deadens nerves for a short while). Crushing cloves moisten as to deliver the oils. People can rub it on their gum if they can't get to the product.

I've been around cattle being castrated by cowboys who just used ropes, horses (saddles wrap rope around horn and horse keeping taunt - usually called "roping horses" in my day) and a razor, with alcohol to sterilize with. Haven't had horses castrated without having the vet putting them out first, on soft grass then stuffing clean sheets all around the area and more surgical methods.

Does provoke memories! :thumbsup:

M. E. Wolf

I've been around cattle being castrated by cowboys who just used ropes, horses (saddles wrap rope around horn and horse keeping taunt - usually called "roping horses" in my day) and a razor, with alcohol to sterilize with. Haven't had horses castrated without having the vet putting them out first, on soft grass then stuffing clean sheets all around the area and more surgical methods.

Does provoke memories! :thumbsup:

M. E. Wolf
I've seen the same things too M.E. and it does bring back memories. We use the Vet now for our horses but still the use rope dally'd around the saddle horn for calves..

There mules........ did you guys also notice the kick chain on the back right foot on the front mule on the right??? Sorry Ive been off in la la land one of my clients had to put her 30 year old horse down, Ive shoed that horse for 26 years, all you guys who shoe, know how every ones horses become part yours over the years. Ive been through this a 100 times,some people just can bear to be there, so they call me to fill in because they know I loved them too, As most of you know, you can break my bones, kick me in the head, knock me out I wont cry, but if it touches my heart IM done, I hate it a 1000 times over to be there,but I"d hate my self more if I wasnt there to let that horse know, he meant alot to somebody.Some times being a shoer can take your breath away, even when your not under a horse.

Very nice thread to read, so much to take in, thank you- not at all conversant with mules, have made a point not to ride anything brighter than me.

One little point, on Ole's claim the dears do not step on feet on purpose. Ha. Had a big, rangy cross-bred as a school horse, In the UK- Driscoll. Loved the guy, tons of laid-back charcter, but you had to watch it. The new kid, you'd have him in cross ties, he'd do this 'thing'- once you were bit, boy, you pulled it on the next guy. He'd start this wierd sway of his neck, back and forth, back and forth- never saw anything like it. Cross ties only went so far, so not too much to worry about. Later, when you saw him in action, you could SEE the old boy flick a glance back at his victim-then you'd wait for it. Sure enough, the next sway, he'd casually lift a foreleg, bring it back and BOOM. Plant it right on the foot of whichever student was intent on currying or brushing or pulling up a girth-whatever put them in the right spot for a bored horse. He was big, too- 16.2, maybe a little over, and kind of lean into it, true story- if they could grin, he was grinning. Everyone lurking around was on the FLOOR, since the same thing had happened to every, single person watching. Driscoll was a little legendary. You could poke him in the ribs, try to lift a leg- he was immune to all that, generally took a good poke in the stifle to unload him, by which point you were in an awful lot of pain. No one could help, either because they were all laughing too hard.

Do not mean to be dismissive, Ole- just not on purpose? Driscoll's whole day was worthwhile, he got one of us under that big, old hoof.

There mules........ did you guys also notice the kick chain on the back right foot on the front mule on the right??? Sorry Ive been off in la la land one of my clients had to put her 30 year old horse down, Ive shoed that horse for 26 years, all you guys who shoe, know how every ones horses become part yours over the years. Ive been through this a 100 times,some people just can bear to be there, so they call me to fill in because they know I loved them too, As most of you know, you can break my bones, kick me in the head, knock me out I wont cry, but if it touches my heart IM done, I hate it a 1000 times over to be there,but I"d hate my self more if I wasnt there to let that horse know, he meant alot to somebody.Some times being a shoer can take your breath away, even when your not under a horse.

My condolences Custers Luck ... there are those critters that you have a personal relationship every time you're taking care of their shoes/hooves. I agree--I can go through autopsies and gross scenes on the job as a law enforcement officer but, I'm mush when it comes to horses and many a time petted a dear creature as the fatal dose was administered and its still twisting my heart decades later.

R.I.P. to all those creatures I loved.

Saw the "kick chain" in the drawing in the original post -- often these kick chains were used on horses, ponies and not just mules or donkey sorts. I'm surprised they didn't use "figure 8s" on the hind end...a bit more length than hobbles (which are usually on the front legs), where there is a kicker, to kick they knock their own front legs out from underneath themselves.

M. E. Wolf

Last edited:
My condolences Custers Luck ... there are those critters that you have a personal relationship every time you're taking care of their shoes/hooves. I agree--I can go through autopsies and gross scenes on the job as a law enforcement officer but, I'm mush when it comes to horses and many a time petted a dear creature as the fatal dose was administered and its still twisting my heart decades later.

R.I.P. to all those creatures I loved.

Saw the "kick chain" in the drawing in the original post -- often these kick chains were used on horses, ponies and not just mules or donkey sorts. I'm surprised they didn't use "figure 8s" on the hind end...a bit more length than hobbles (which are usually on the front legs), where there is a kicker, to kick they knock their own front legs out from underneath themselves.

M. E. Wolf
Thank you for your kind words Wolf , your right it never leaves you. You sound a lot like my dad who was also a cop for almost 30 years, he would come home and tell us the grosses story's at the dinner table,but couldn't deal with a hurt animal.
WEll they put that mule in the right position in the team with that problem, but you right, figure 8s would have been more particle. Its great tho we got to see this in an old photo, gos to show some things never change.

Back