Shoeing a "Refractory Mule"

The Amish around here use draft size mules. I'd never seen them before moving here- they use that 4-across, big old things out in the field pulling farm equipment through their fields. Used to see them use their Belgians, these are mules. Has anyone come across them before? Thought maybe a blacksmith would - you folks see mostly everything.

Two comments about that picture from the LoC four mule wagon. First, I agree with the folks on this board, they appear to be horses, not mules. Second, has anyone noticed that all Hollywood movies have the team driver on the wagon, where as in the majority of cases he would be riding one of the team? You see this especially in movie versions of artillery, the soldier is riding on the limber, not on the horse. Am I wrong here?

The Amish around here use draft size mules. I'd never seen them before moving here- they use that 4-across, big old things out in the field pulling farm equipment through their fields. Used to see them use their Belgians, these are mules. Has anyone come across them before? Thought maybe a blacksmith would - you folks see mostly everything.
Draft mules aren't unusual. They are bred from draft mares, often Belgians.

You might enjoy "Witness" with Harrison Ford. Amish setting.

LoC mule wagon photo. Larger version.
01989u.jpg

Thank you for your kind words Wolf , your right it never leaves you. You sound a lot like my dad who was also a cop for almost 30 years, he would come home and tell us the grosses story's at the dinner table,but couldn't deal with a hurt animal.
WEll they put that mule in the right position in the team with that problem, but you right, figure 8s would have been more particle. Its great tho we got to see this in an old photo, gos to show some things never change.

Custers Luck,

Why invent the wheel all over again, if it works fine. :thumbsup: So too with equines, canines and felines.:thumbsup:

Sadly, if there is just one quad-ped out there abused, it is one too many.

M. E. Wolf

JPKHuson,

Are you asking about the contraption or the hitch configuration, e.g. 4 across equines?

Contraption is probably a 'combine' --there are horse powered machines that cut the hay, wheat, corn, barley, oats, then there could be a 'baling' machine which gathers, cubes it and string affixed, there are machines that shell corn as it is gathered. Majority all invented by farmers to ease the burden of harvesting. There are mowers too, which cut down stalks. Plows that turn the soil and contraptions that deposit seeds at a certain rotation cycle as the driver moves the team down each row.

M. E. Wolf

Two comments about that picture from the LoC four mule wagon. First, I agree with the folks on this board, they appear to be horses, not mules. Second, has anyone noticed that all Hollywood movies have the team driver on the wagon, where as in the majority of cases he would be riding one of the team? You see this especially in movie versions of artillery, the soldier is riding on the limber, not on the horse. Am I wrong here?

Well, I've seen drivers riding on the near horse (left horse / steering wheel side of the horse) and those riding on the right are members of the artillery team for that piece, the two on the limber can also be members of that piece 'hitching a ride' as this was necessary for putting a piece on the field fast--also long treks. Riding on the limber also balanced the limber when fording uneven banks into creeks/river beds and weight on the axle was necessary.

If you see competition driving, you'll see the 'groom' in the back shift side to side as to keep weight on one wheel or the other--otherwise they stand center. Again, to stabilize the horse drawn vehicle. If too severe of a drop they would lean back like a lounge chair or sit on another's lap ...anything to keep the limber from flipping.

There are some wagons that will be configured as to have the driver in the box (in the wagon or on top of the wagon),such as headquarter's wagons, mail wagons but, for large items and or volume--most times the driver is on the left rear mount/horse/mule and in artillery, the drivers are on the left mount of each team, some are four horse, some are six and in some cases eight horse teams.

Even two wheel carts were used in the Civil War, so it really must be said that, vehicles used were designed for that particular usage. Early on, it was anything that could be modified to use to do the work.

M. E. Wolf

Thanks ME- what I've seen mostly that a lot of the Amish have out there are older-model farm machinery that we ' English '( I guess that is how we're referred to by the Amish? ) use a tractor to pull- it looks so odd, seeing them behind draft animals. I was wondering about draft mules? It is a brand, new concept to me, and am going to drive straight into a tree one day, trying to get a better look at what looks like Belgians with bunny ears.

Thanks ME- what I've seen mostly that a lot of the Amish have out there are older-model farm machinery that we ' English '( I guess that is how we're referred to by the Amish? ) use a tractor to pull- it looks so odd, seeing them behind draft animals. I was wondering about draft mules? It is a brand, new concept to me, and am going to drive straight into a tree one day, trying to get a better look at what looks like Belgians with bunny ears.

JPK Huson,

Majority of Amish and Mennonites are extremely shy and don't wish to be subjected to public photographs and gawking. Decades of it and being 'odd balls' because of religion they are enveloped into themselves but, as an outsider with horses and driving needs, e.g. harness, shoes with drilltex to grip road, etc., they are open and honest and invite any questions within reason.

I suspect, if you see these wonderful people paused from their work, they would be pleased to answer your questions and invite you to try it. Young boys are extremely bright when it comes to the working of these horse drawn contraptions.

If you are local to them, go by their market and inquire. The ladies are the doorway into the men's physical labor and knowledge of these things and would give you a person to approach by name. By giving their name, it is the 'pass' of communication, their approval of your intent. They love to educate others as we Civil War buffs.

Just my observations and opinions.

Miniature donkeys are cute too...

M. E. Wolf

I second M E's suggestion, he is spot on. If you really want to know more just ask. I regularly do business with them (horses, harness, chickens, farm equipment, etc.) and the folks I deal with are really great about answering my questions. Periodically when I was a teenager I would go to a state park in Lancaster County on weekends and see the Amish guys my age drag race each other with their horses pulling their spring wagons. Not sure if their Elders knew what they were up to but it was a great memory and a great time.

That's really good to know, thank you! It's because we've always been told they dislike the ourside world using them as tourist traps- always against their will, that we give them a wide berth, you know? We have a LOT around here, refugees from Lancaster area, where it's a huge business, the poor Amish in a zoo or something. Here, no one honestly gives them a second look, unless it's frequenting their stores- they have a ton of them, feed and leather goods, hardware, bakeshops- and a LOT do construction. An Amish company did the addition to my parent's home, half the price, worked 16 hour days, worried the stuffing out of Mom, who kept trying to feed them.

I will ask, although the idea of engaging them in conversation has given me the willies as maybe being offensive- knowing it's fine, that a farmer would probably welcome THAT kind of interest, could see myself finally asking. The teams they use, all those animals abreast, is truly, truly incredible to see. I have zero experience driving, never gave it a shot- like more control. That's an awful lot of literal horse power in front of that farmer, gee whiz. Impressive beyond impressive, seeing him manage that kind of team, that's all. I understand the drafts are better tempered than most of their fellows- would have to be, who wants to fool around with a tempermental mountain? Still, just Wow.

The large work horse teams had me awe struck since i was a kid. Hard for me not to geek out and keep writing stuff about them. if you dont have any luck or are not well recieved let me know I deal with an Amish harness maker in Ronks. not sure how far that is for you but he knows everybody I am sure we can get you in someplace. If you are in that area and want to stop in his place I can pass along his number, yup hes got a phone. Hes a great guy and if its a busy day alot of people will be coming in to have stuff repaired.

The large work horse teams had me awe struck since i was a kid. Hard for me not to geek out and keep writing stuff about them. if you dont have any luck or are not well recieved let me know I deal with an Amish harness maker in Ronks. not sure how far that is for you but he knows everybody I am sure we can get you in someplace. If you are in that area and want to stop in his place I can pass along his number, yup hes got a phone. Hes a great guy and if its a busy day alot of people will be coming in to have stuff repaired.

EJ Zander -- hard not to geek out when it comes to our passions be it horses/equines or Civil War. But, in a way our equine experience people who haven't had the honor to own or work with equines, can experience a taste of it through our eyes/texts. Yes, it doesn't replace actual physical experience but, meanwhile--sharing is giving what we know to add to these photos and answer questions.

Lots of Amish have telephone booths at the end of their driveway and occasionally outside their workshop, e.g. wheel wright, carriage repairs, etc. Those who have stores/shops due to orders need phones so its permitted as it isn't for idle use. (Idle hands -Devil's workshop).

I regret that I no longer have my horses or horse drawn vehicles as I would enjoy teaching the joys of driving and get a good long extended trot going in a vintage carriage which on rubber tires is like a gentle rocking of a porch swing. The horse in my Avatar (Bean Bag) was a sweetie with novice drivers--he was voice trained so, he was 'remote' control and loved to have kids learn road safety with him (I'd ask Bean Bag if it was safe on the right, the left and ahead--that was his cue to look in that direction and shake his head yes or no...ahhh if he was only in my youth when I was a safety patrol LOL).

There was (been some time now), a Amish man who would teach driving horses to people interested in learning how. They also would train horses to drive for others and do a good job.
Don't know what they charge now days for doing so. But, if intimidated by the men talk with the ladies--they do know how to drive horses also.

M. E. Wolf

Back