Ships of the Civil War 1861-1865

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Some great ship illustrations by Tony Gibbons in this book. What do other think of this book?

ship.jpg

In my defense I had spent 2 hours in a yarn shop helping my wife find the right color of yarn so I walked next door and bought a book at the book store to read while I sat in the shade while she finished finding the right color of yarn. The book was on sale for $9.99 and reading it was a whole lot more fun than anought hour or so of looking at yarn.

No she did nt find her color She did not want dark rust or light rust but medium rust that is not too rusty. Which they use to make years ago but have stopped making just to vexing her.

It's not even just the color; when I was helping a lady friend with this some years back, we had to match the dye lots of skeins of yarn to get a true color match (you all will be happy to know the dye lot is printed on the label).

It's not even just the color; when I was helping a lady friend with this some years back, we had to match the dye lots of skeins of yarn to get a true color match (you all will be happy to know the dye lot is printed on the label).

Which is why the plant trees outside of yarn shops so husband s and other non yarn people have a place to sit on the ground in shade read Civil War books. Very considerate of them.

There's a lot of good stuff out there, but it gets drowned out in popular memory by Jeff Daniels screaming "Bayonets!"
I wonder how many Americans remember, "**** the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" Maybe if we had Bradley Cooper play the part....

A couple of years back I went to the Friends of the Library book resale store. Someone had given then once read hard back books on Civil War naval opetations. I could not decide which one I wanted to read, so at $ 1.50 per book I bought 8 of the books. I read three of them and put the rest on my "hope to read someday" shelf. I now know more about Civil War naval operations than I did and have a few more to read if I can find the time to do so.

Back