Ships of the Civil War 1861-1865

But not as Farragut, who was 63 years old at the time of "**** the torpedoes!" :D We'd need an actor of appropriate age for that. (Bill Pullman or Liam Neeson would be about the right age.)
I love the "D*** the torpedoes" quote it ranks up there with "I have just begun to fight." And "Don't give up the ship." My favorite naval quote is the laconic order from George Dewey to his executive officer while taking on Spanish ships in Manila Bay, "You may fire at will Gridley."

"In my defense I had spent 2 hours in a yarn shop helping my wife find the right color of yarn. . . ."

Say. No. More. Outstanding purchase, my friend!
There is a quilt shop on the field at Franklin and it is a must stop for my wife whenever we are in the area , while she shops; I sit on the porch in a rocker; think about what occured on that ground and it takes the pain out of waiting.

Cannot figure out how the naval war doesn't flatten Hollywood. I mean really? Someone sold a movie on how amazing it was 2 dogs and a cat found their way home. Men got into a bicycle with a metal cigar wrapped around it, pedaled under water, in Charleston harbor and sank a battleship. Gee whiz. An entire river was convinced to cough up a whole fleet of stranded war ships by engineering , luck and by the skin of their teeth.

And nearly submerged ships looking more like sawed-off weaponry married a whale than anything war had ever seen sank each other in our country's greatest rivers. How has this been missed?

I wonder how many Americans remember, "**** the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" Maybe if we had Bradley Cooper play the part....
A friend of mine in my wargaming years came up a slightly different version, his command having not seen a torpedo
I love the "D*** the torpedoes" quote it ranks up there with "I have just begun to fight." And "Don't give up the ship." My favorite naval quote is the laconic order from George Dewey to his executive officer while taking on Spanish ships in Manila Bay, "You may fire at will Gridley."
What had will ever done to him ?

Sorry big fingers that should have read "his command not having see the torpedo that hit him was - I said full speed ahead ,not hit that d***n torpedo ! "

I
Cannot figure out how the naval war doesn't flatten Hollywood. I mean really? Someone sold a movie on how amazing it was 2 dogs and a cat found their way home. Men got into a bicycle with a metal cigar wrapped around it, pedaled under water, in Charleston harbor and sank a battleship. Gee whiz. An entire river was convinced to cough up a whole fleet of stranded war ships by engineering , luck and by the skin of their teeth.

And nearly submerged ships looking more like sawed-off weaponry married a whale than anything war had ever seen sank each other in our country's greatest rivers. How has this been missed?
On the other hand, do you really want hollywood to f**** about with the stories in their usual fashion to make a fast buck?

I

On the other hand, do you really want hollywood to f**** about with the stories in their usual fashion to make a fast buck?

Yeah, that's a legit note of caution.

Reminded of the old Monty Python bit where the American film company changes "Scott of the Antarctic" to "Scott of the Sahara" to keep an exciting lion-fighting scene they'd put in.

Back