Shipbuilding in Philadelphia and the Delaware in General

Poorville

Corporal
I am seeking a list of "commercial" shipbuilders either in Philadelphia or the Delaware in wider terms during the Civil War and the decade leading up to it. (My apologies if I am in the wrong forum.)

I am seeking a list of "commercial" shipbuilders either in Philadelphia or the Delaware in wider terms during the Civil War and the decade leading up to it. (My apologies if I am in the wrong forum.)
Welcome to CivilWarTalk sir. Hopefully one of our learned in naval matters members can give you some information to work with.

In just a couple of minutes on the LOC newspapers site I found Robert H. Barr & Co, Messrs. Thatcher, John K. Kirkman, and Hitles & Co. -- all in 1861 and 1862 in Delaware. With so much activity, I would be surprised if there are not several books on the subject that might give you what you want. I'd start with the state and state university libraries.

Wilmington, Delaware was a very active shipbuilding center; the Christina River was nicknamed "America's Clyde" after the British shipbuilding region. Principal builders were Harlan & Hollingsworth (which built several Civil War monitors and warships) and Pusey & Jones.
Thanks Carronade that’s a great help. I’m trying to trace the builders of the SS Margaret
Welcome from WNY
Wilmington, Delaware was a very active shipbuilding center; the Christina River was nicknamed "America's Clyde" after the British shipbuilding region. Principal builders were Harlan & Hollingsworth (which built several Civil War monitors and warships) and Pusey & Jones.
Sorry Carronade I'm new to the forum and hit the wrong button!! I should have added that the SS Margaret was running under the Elder Dempster Line of Liverpool. The ship was purchased in 1864 and operated by them during 1864/65 before being sold. Not sure exactly when or where it was built but Philadephia crops up. I'll pursue your suggestions, thanks.

In just a couple of minutes on the LOC newspapers site I found Robert H. Barr & Co, Messrs. Thatcher, John K. Kirkman, and Hitles & Co. -- all in 1861 and 1862 in Delaware. With so much activity, I would be surprised if there are not several books on the subject that might give you what you want. I'd start with the state and state university libraries.
Thanks DaveBrt just what I needed, pointing in the right direction. I'll puruse the LOC and in the meantime check out those companies you've listed. Thanks again.

The older title, which helped that nickname last, is: David Budlong Tyler, The American Clyde: A History of Iron and Steel Shipbuilding on the Delaware from 1840 to World War I. A newer, more detailed look is: Ships for the Seven Seas: Philadelphia Shipbuilding in the Age of Industrial Capitalism.

Thanks Carronade that’s a great help. I’m trying to trace the builders of the SS Margaret

Sorry Carronade I'm new to the forum and hit the wrong button!! I should have added that the SS Margaret was running under the Elder Dempster Line of Liverpool. The ship was purchased in 1864 and operated by them during 1864/65 before being sold. Not sure exactly when or where it was built but Philadephia crops up. I'll pursue your suggestions, thanks.

Even this history of the Line is vague -
MARGARET Not Known ASSC 1864-1865 254 109.8 x 25.5 x 9.8 Lost.
See p.21, THE HISTORY OF ELDER DEMPSTER http://www.rakaia.co.uk/assets/elder-dempster-history-summary.pdf

I've had some luck with other ships in the Lloyd's insurance registry.

Even this history of the Line is vague -
MARGARET Not Known ASSC 1864-1865 254 109.8 x 25.5 x 9.8 Lost.
See p.21, THE HISTORY OF ELDER DEMPSTER http://www.rakaia.co.uk/assets/elder-dempster-history-summary.pdf

I've had some luck with other ships in the Lloyd's insurance registry.

Thanks for that Story. My original post was an attempt to help a colleague who is the author of the document you found. It is one of the missing pieces he needs to complete the history. As you will see from what he has already produced he is thorough. He hoped there might be some link in the records of shipbuilders in Philadelphia and on the Delaware River. Once again thanks for your help.

Poorville

Thanks for that Story. My original post was an attempt to help a colleague who is the author of the document you found. It is one of the missing pieces he needs to complete the history. As you will see from what he has already produced he is thorough. He hoped there might be some link in the records of shipbuilders in Philadelphia and on the Delaware River. Once again thanks for your help.

Poorville

You and your friend are welcome. Philadelphia shipbuilding history is fragmented and in this case, the Margaret may not have carried that name when launched.

Answers can be found from the smallest of clues (check some of the other threads here as illustrations of successfully pulling rabbits out of a proverbial hat). The alluded references to Philadelphia, in context, would be helpful. If discretion is necessary, you/he can contact me through the PM function.

I am late to the partyhere, but I have been reading through the Philly Inquirer in 1864-65 amd they often have short articles of shipbuilding activity. I am almost certain the Inquirer is available for a montly fee at www.genealogybank.com. If you are patient, you could go through the daily issues and look forthose small clues referenced above my post. Just a possible lead.

@Poorville I just yesterday found an amazing information compilation site called ShipbuildingHistory.com. I am not sure how to navigate to listings by city, but I think you should be able to figure it out if you spend some time there. You should be able to find the names of the shipbuilder companies and the list of ships they built.

EDITED TO ADD: That site is tough to navigate. Here is a direct link to pre-WW1 shipyards.

Last edited:
As good a thread as any for this - from Harper's Weekly June 15th, 1872
- bird's eye view of the Philadelphia Navy Yard
mJ6FX2K.jpg

Sir, to add to the already listed books...

America's Maritime Legacy: A History of the U.S. Merchant Marine and Shipbuilding Industry Since Colonial Times by Kilmarx
The U.S. Merchant Marine at War, 1775-1945 by Bruce L. Felknor
Naval Shipbuilders of the World: From the Age of Sail to the Present Day by Robert Winklareth
Navies and Shipbuilding Industries: The Strained Symbiosis by Michael Lindberg

...and while your post specified "commercial", in this time frame, unless it was a government yard, many builders constructed both types if contracted.

HTHs,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
Back