Ship Carpenters in La., 1863

DaveBrt

1st Lieutenant
National Archives Catalog, Chapter 2, Volume 60

Jackson, March 30, 1863

Maj Genl R. Taylor
Alexandria La

General,
I have the honor to request that the fifteen ship carpenters furnished you by Genl. Stevenson at Vicksburg be returned to this Dept their services being greatly needed at present.
J. C. Pemberton, Lt Genl

National Archives Catalog, Chapter 2, Volume 60

Jackson, March 30, 1863

Maj Genl R. Taylor
Alexandria La

General,
I have the honor to request that the fifteen ship carpenters furnished you by Genl. Stevenson at Vicksburg be returned to this Dept their services being greatly needed at present.
J. C. Pemberton, Lt Genl
You wonder what these men were doing or if they hadn't started and Pemberton wanted them back before it could be claimed that they were in mid-project.

You wonder what these men were doing or if they hadn't started and Pemberton wanted them back before it could be claimed that they were in mid-project.
Pemberton specifies "ships carpenters" so I expect they were working on a vessel somewhere -- Shreveport or Alexandria I'd guess.

Pemberton specifies "ships carpenters" so I expect they were working on a vessel somewhere -- Shreveport or Alexandria I'd guess.
I need to lookup the dates, but I wonder if this had anything to do the Pontchartrain conversion project in Arkansas? They might also have been used for maintenance of the vessels of the Army gunboat squadron in W. Louisiana.

Back