1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Shiloh's Peach Blossoms

Discussion in 'Battle of Shiloh / Pittsburg Landing' started by LoriAnn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

This is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but after an hour of searching online, I have no choice but to bug you fine folks.

Regarding the story of peach blossom petals falling like snow during the battle, does anyone recall the color of the petals?

Pale pink?
    White?

I thought I remember Shelby Foote saying they were pink, and I believe I ran across one reference to that color online, but otherwise I haven't found much mention of it. The shower of petals, yes. But the color, no.

I was hoping peach blossoms were pink across the board, which would then answer my question. However I saw sources that said the blossoms could be white (or nearly white because they are so very light pink), pink, and purple.

I ask because I would like to design something with this in mind, but I don't want to design and stitch it, only to find out later that my color was way off. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

(I've been staring at my computer screen for too long. My coffee mug is right next to my pin cushion, which is shaped like a little tea pot. Guess which one I picked up for a sip of coffee.)

Mike Serpa, Nathanb1, JohnW. and 5 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Doing an online search shows the ones there now are definitely the pink variety, but of the ones there a century-and-a-half ago - who can say?!

JohnW., Yankeedave, amweiner and 2 others like this.
  4. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

I just pulled out my Ken Burns episode on Shiloh ~ pink blossoms, according to the narrator. But I don't think he was quoting anyone.

I think I shall go with light pink until further notice. That problem semi-solved, now I have to figure out how to draw the darn things! :D

Nathanb1, JohnW., Yankeedave and 5 others like this.
  5. 1stMN

1stMN Sergeant

That part of the narration always gives me chills.

6. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

Yes. It's an image that has always stuck with me, and I think that's why I want to work with it a little bit.

7. CheathamHill

CheathamHill First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I thought everything back then was black and white? At least from the pictures I've seen...:cautious:

8. TomP

TomP Private

I am not aware of a period account which mentions a specific color. Brig. Gen. W.H.L. Wallace wrote to his wife Ann on April 5 how the peach trees were in full bloom, "adding a touch of color and gentle fragrance to the atmosphere."

9. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

There are a lot of pictures of peach blossoms if you google peach blossoms. They are light pink, darker pink and to me a pink lavender color. They are very beautiful.

Best to you in drawing them.

10. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

That is helpful! That kind of helps me lean in the pink direction.

Thank you. :smile: I managed to sketch a few, but then stitching that isn't quite working out. I'll have to see if I can find another way to represent those pretty little blossoms.

11. 1stMN

1stMN Sergeant

Most peach trees I've seen have been of the pinkish hue as far as their blossoms...though according to this it seems it can vary...not sure there is a wrong answer here as long as they aren't blue or green :wink:

And I discovered they're edible?? Anyone ever heard of that before? http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Peach_Blossoms_8767.php

12. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

Oh cool! I've seen rose petals in chocolate. Haven't eaten it yet, though I'm tempted. Also:

"In China, the peach tree holds mystical properties thought to bring good luck, abundance, protection, fertility and affection. In Japan and China it is customary for brides to carry peach blossoms in her bouquet."

Well, that's sweet. :happy: The more I read, the more I like them.

13. donna

Peach Blossoms are used in food.. Peach Blossoms may be infused in tea. They are also used to make Peach Blossom Jelly.

In book, "Edible & Medicinal Flowers" by Margaret Roberts, there are two recipes using Peach Blossoms. They are Springtime Peach Blossom Sundae and Peach Blossom Spring Fruit Salad.

Mike Serpa, JohnW., John Winn and 6 others like this.
  14. 1stMN

1stMN Sergeant

Well, I might have to try them! :smile:

JohnW. and amweiner like this.
  15. mt155

mt155 First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

These are from Shiloh.

4491102783_27a2f84c01_b.jpg

4561833865_7a75b8731e_b.jpg

16. 1stMN

1stMN Sergeant

JohnW. likes this.
  17. donna

Those blossoms are beautiful.

JohnW. likes this.
  18. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

Ah, nice! Your photos are always such a pleasure to look at.

I wonder if those blossoms start out pale pink and then darken as they mature. There's another photo with very light, but seemingly brand new, pink blossoms here on the following site: RichardNilsen

JohnW. likes this.
  19. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

I may be wrong, but it might be the variety.... or cling vs non cling. Here are some at Fredericksburg, TX...more like what I grew up with. peaches.png

20. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

Shilo. The peach orchard is in right middle ground. George Manse cabins at left. The 'you are here' marker is house on right.
    463992955.jpg

JohnW., donna and LoriAnn like this.
  21. LoriAnn

LoriAnn Captain

I zoomed in. I still can't make out the color of those blossoms. :tongue:

1stMN and JohnW. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)