Shiloh National Military Park (Pittsburg Landing)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
DSC_0186 (4).JPG

DSC_0341 (3).JPG

DSC_0196 (2).JPG

DSC_0206 (3).JPG

DSC_0262 (2).JPG

DSC_0281 (3).JPG

DSC_0293 (3).JPG

DSC_0305 (2).JPG

DSC_0275 (3).JPG

DSC_0307 (2).JPG

DSC_0361 (3).JPG

DSC_0370 (2).JPG

DSC_0381 (3).JPG

DSC_0399 (4).JPG

DSC_0417 (2).JPG

DSC_0431 (3).JPG

DSC_0438 (3).JPG

DSC_0353 (2).JPG

* THE CONFEDERATE MONUMENT. This monument, designed and sculptured by Frederick C. Hibbard, was erected in 1917 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of all Southern troops who fought in the battle.

In the center of the massive pedestal is carved the bust of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, the Confederate commander who was killed during the afternoon of the first day.

At the extreme right, the figure in front represents the Confederate infantryman who has snatched up his flag in defiance of the Northern Army. The figure to his rear is the artilleryman who is calm as he appears to gaze through the smoke of battle.

To the left, the figure in front represents the cavalryman. His hand is spread, indicating frustration. He is eager to help, but cannot penetrate the heavy undergrowth. The figure back of the cavalryman represents the officers of the Confederate Army. He has his head bowed in submission to the order to cease firing when, it seemed, had it not been given the first day, there might have been a Confederate victory.

The central group represents a "Defeated Victory." The front figure, representing the Confederacy, is surrendering the laurel wreath of victory to Death, on the left, and Night, on the right. Death came to their commander and Night brought reinforcements to the enemy; and the battle was lost.

The panel of heads on the right represents the spirit of the first day. How hopefully and fearlessly the 11 young Confederates rushed into battle!

The panel of heads on the left represents the second day of the battle and the sorrow of the men, now reduced to 10, over the victory so nearly won and so unexpectedly lost.

* National Park Service

DSC_0261 (3).JPG

DSC_0271 (3).JPG

DSC_0262 (2).JPG

DSC_0263 (3).JPG

DSC_0264 (4).JPG

DSC_0268 (3).JPG

DSC_0260 (3).JPG

Thanks Bill, some great photographs. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. So much to see there. My favorite part of the battlefield, is where the fighting began, then the Hornet's Nest and the Bloody Pond area.

The Shiloh National Military Park is definitely in my Top Ten ACW battlefields!

Bill

Shiloh is indeed a beautiful place; and Hagy's catfish is to die for.

As a 5th grader on a field trip from Memphis, this is where my life long and abiding interest in Civil War history began. I came back many times and highly recommend an early April trip to coincide with the time period of the battle. Stunning!

One item I find interesting regarding Shiloh is the monument to 1st Ohio Battery A. I'm not quite sure why the decided to put one there. Battery A was called up late in the battle. by the time they made it across the river, the Confederates were in full retreat. Battery A was so far back that they were not able to catch up and never fired a single round. It's a nice monument, but if you go to the back side, It's has the following engraved: " This battery arrived on the field about 2 PM April 7 1862 too late to be engaged"

Back