Shiloh National Military Park closes due to storm damage until further notice

scone

2nd Lieutenant
Honored Fallen Comrade
Last edited:
Shiloh National Military park -UPDATE - Our crack maintenance folks have been working all day to clear trees and debris and get the park back to normal. We hope to have all of the roads cleared and the park open by noon tomorrow (Tuesday). Please check back for the latest updates or call the visitor center at 731-689-5696.

I sure hope the damage to the Cemetery and the rest of the park is minimal. I was just there last Wednesday and will have to go back soon to check it out.
Regards
David

My sister lives in Muhlenberg county, Ky. just south of central city, they are still without power from storm as of last night

trees uprooted? It would be intersting to run a metal detector around the uprooted spots to uncover a new relic from the war,,,who knows what the park service could find on newly unearthed ground???????

Concerning the Great Cyclone of 1909, the damage to the battlefield was extensive, especially in the area containing the National Cemetery and several monuments, including the Iowa Monument which was, for the most part, completely destroyed. An excerpt from A History of Shiloh Military Park, by Charles E. Shedd, Jr. Park Historian , 1954 states, in part, "..... The Iowa monument was demolished. The shaft and upper bronze weighing 25 tons was thrown down; the lower part of the shaft turning completely over and striking the bronze figure of Fame breaking it and also the immense granite blocks of the base. The lower part of the shaft was badly broken the upper part chipped." The Iowa Monument was repaired and restored to it's original position in 1910; this is the monument we see today. For the full transcript of the History of Shiloh Military Park, go to https://www.nps.gov/shil/learn/management/upload/Administrative.pdf. The section describing the Great Cyclone of 1909 starts on page 32.

1572539954797.png

1572540049113.png

Vintage postcard, ca. 1906, Iowa Monument in background.

trees uprooted? It would be intersting to run a metal detector around the uprooted spots to uncover a new relic from the war,,,who knows what the park service could find on newly unearthed ground???????
A number of years ago, I was at Antietam while they were planting a number of trees. As each scoop of dirt came up, a Park Ranger ran a detector over it and if something was found; work stopped as an archeologist examined the find and if it was determined to be something interesting it was tagged, GPS marked and removed. By my estimation, it took about four hours to plant each tree. PS: We were kept far away from the work area. :frown:

Back