Shiloh National Military Park (Black & White NPS Tour)

Admitedly I have never been to Gettysburg, but to me there is nowhere else that I have been that equals the feeling of being at Shiloh. Especially with it being so peaceful and serene but at the same time you can feel a massive energy unlike I have felt anywhere else. Incredible 158 years later. As I write this at just after 4:15 today General Johnston would have been dead 158 years ago (along with countless others).

View attachment 75400
Shiloh National Military Park
preserves the American Civil War Shiloh battlefield. The main section of the park is in the unincorporated town of Shiloh, about nine miles south of Savannah, Tennessee. The Battle of Shiloh began a six-month struggle for the key railroad junction at Corinth. Afterward, Union forces marched from Pittsburg Landing to take Corinth in a May siege, then withstood an October Confederate counter-attack.

* The Shiloh National Military Park (Main Entrance Off US 22).

View attachment 75400

* Shiloh National Military Park Visitor Center (Diorama : The Hornets' Nest)

View attachment 75401

* Tour Stop : 1 (Grant's Last Line)

View attachment 75402

* Tour Stop : 2 (Confederate Monument)

View attachment 75403

* Tour Stop : 3 (Duncan Field)

View attachment 75404

* Tour Stop : 4 (Ruggles' Battery)

View attachment 75405

* Tour Stop : 5 (Shiloh Church - Reconstructed Church)

View attachment 75406

* Tour Stop : 6 (Rhea Field - Rhea Spring)

View attachment 75407

* Tour Stop : 7 (Fraley Field - The Beginning of the Battle of Shiloh)

View attachment 75408

* Tour Stop : 8 (Confederates Gain Ground)

View attachment 75409

* Tour Stop : 9 (Invasion of the Union Camps)

View attachment 75410

* Tour Stop : 10 (Hornets' Nest)

View attachment 75411

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2015)
THANK YOU for taking these pictures in black and white ,Such pictures taken this way gives a feeling of the field in that time .Question' If the Confederate forces would have continued to advance on the Union forces ,want do you imagine the outcome would have been? Union reinforcements would not have arrived in time to have been brought up. What effect did the death of AS have upon the outcome ,other than placing the command the questionable hands of the Southern aristocratic hands of General Beauregard?

The Illinois State Monument

View attachment 75469

View attachment 75470

View attachment 75471

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2015)
This is the most deserving of monuments to be placed on a battlefield,Do you know of who that gentleman is on the horse?.It is not Albert Sidney for the was always pictured in the rear of the army Does the woman represent NIKE{Goddess of Victory} or the women of the Union soldiers or all women whose sons ,husbands,and brothers who died there?

D1239480-3DBA-4ED0-BF9C-965981313F93.jpeg

Back