Shiloh Muster Side Trips

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
OK folks, finally got the side trips nailed down. Below is the schedule. If you plan on attending any of these please let me know

Thursday Sept. 24th: 1 pm till. Got a GREAT spot for a relic hunt for a few folks. Its located on PRIVATE property that butts up to the park and is the site of where Gen Bragg's division was located before the battle. I will have 3 detectors for folks to use and this is a great location and sure to produce some Shiloh relics. If you want to go on this one let me know ASAP.

Thursday Night: Southern style dinner at @16thAL and @MS2623 home. This will be a HOOT as they are planning a good ole fashion Southern dinner. If you can make this one please let us know ASAP so that @MS2623 can get a good head count.

Friday Sept. 25th: AM return before 12:00. @Rusk County Avengers will be leading a group to the Brice's Crossroad battlefield and the museum.

Sunday Sept. 27th: 1pm trip to the Corinth Crossroads museum.

Last edited:
OK folks, finally got the side trips nailed down. Below is the schedule. If you plan on attending any of these please let me know
I just texted the link to this thread to member @Rick Featherston who will be riding with me to see what he is interested in.

We need for Rick to visit Hill Crest Cemetery in Holly Springs where General Featherston is buried
Regards
David

We were expecting a couple members of Nathan Forrest to be coming but they can't make it. I wanted to offer a option if anyone would like to see sights of some other battles, mostly cavalry battles. I am volunteering to take a few people on a tour of a few of these sites. Or I can help guide them to these sites if they want to stop there on their ride to or from the event.

Hiway 57 follows the Memphis & Charleston RR which include sites for the Battle of Davis Bridge and several cavalry battles. This map shows the location and relative distances. A drive over to Collierville will likely not fit into a half-day trip. However, contact me if you think this might be a stop on your drive to or from the Memphis Airport.
Map Tour --Hiway 57.jpg

These sites include(Chronological order):
Battle of Davis Bridge --- Where the Union forces almost trapped General Van Dorn on his retreat from Corinth.
Battles of Collierville; 1st and 2nd -- Oct 11 & Nov 3 1863. Gen Chalmers & Gen. Sherman.
Battle of Moscow, Dec 4, 1863 --- Gen S. D. Lee and Sul Ross and Black Bob McCulloch fight Col Hatch.
Skirmish at LaFayette Station(Rossville) --- The conclusion of Forrest's "Cattle Raid" of Dec 1863

Saulsbury -- Dec 4, 1863. This is where General Forrest crossed through Union lines for the start of his Cattle Raid. There is no marker there and I don't have any exact site to see.

I am a volunteer for the scheduled activities so this will have to be done before or after. I'm just offering a short tour to anyone who is interested. You can contact me directly to learn more about these sites. We can discuss arranging a tour.

I forgot the most important side trip. FOOD & LIBATIONS.
Thursday Night: Southern style dinner at @16thAL and @MS2623 home. This will be a HOOT as they are planning a good ole fashion Southern dinner. If you can make this one please let us know ASAP so that @MS2623 can get a good head count.

What time is the relic hunting? If all goes as planned, I was planning to drive over on Thursday but dont want to miss the relic hunting. Should I drive over Wednesday?

What time is the relic hunting? If all goes as planned, I was planning to drive over on Thursday but dont want to miss the relic hunting. Should I drive over Wednesday?

If y'all leave Thursday morning you should make it. Really hope y'all can attend.
Thursday Sept. 24th: 1 pm till. Got a GREAT spot for a relic hunt for a few folks. Its located on PRIVATE property that butts up to the park and is the site of where Gen Bragg's division was located before the battle. I will have 3 detectors for folks to use and this is a great location and sure to produce some Shiloh relics. If you want to go on this one let me know ASAP.

We need for Rick to visit Hill Crest Cemetery in Holly Springs where General Featherston is buried
Regards
David
Pretty sure he has already been there.

One useful piece of info . 1 county road 317 is where the cornbread will be cooking Thursday night. There will be signage .

Tom and I plan on being there on the 22nd, and running around town on the 23rd. He told me something of a museum not widely known and other spots he'd show me. Also I think we're going to try running by C&D Jarnagin for a look around, (the original reenacting sutler, with replicas of CS leather goods in their collection).

I ain't been able to get a hold Tom the past week or two, but I imagine he'll be excited at hearing where we'll all be digging. Also I fear an old threat he's made of a shovel to the back of my head if I find a Confederate belt plate before he does after his decades of digging, so if anyone sees me take off running during the dig, y'all know why. Hopefully he found one on his recent digging trip in Virginia, I couldn't survive another shovel whack in my lifetime.

Good Southern cookin', I'm in. :frantic:

Last edited:
Back