Shiloh Muster Side Trips

I wanna see it with my own eyes. Where were the Confederate casualties at Corinth buried? Sometime during this muster, I have go to get down to Okolona. That has been on my list for quite some time.
This is an absolutely HORRIBLE tale: according to the NPS ranger (not @TomP) Mike and I talked to at the park headquarters in Corinth after failing to find them in the city cemetery where they were SUPPOSEDLY buried following the battle, due to the extreme acidity of the soil - something Tom did describe to us although in a different connotation during his brief talk at Battery Robinette - their bones have by now all dissolved; and since they were buried in unmarked trenches or graves there is now NOTHING left of them! There are NO monuments or markers there of any kind and their exact location on the grounds has likewise been forgotten.

Last edited:
This is an absolutely HORRIBLE tale: according to the NPS ranger Mike and I talked to at Corinth (not @TomP) after failing to find them in the Corinth city cemetery where they were SUPPOSEDLY buried following the battle, due to the extreme acidity of the soil - something Tom did describe to us although in a different connotation - their bones have by now all dissolved; and since they were buried in unmarked trenches or graves there is now NOTHING left of them! There are NO monuments or markers there of any kind and their exact location on the grounds has likewise been forgotten.

VERY possible. The soil in a lot of places, including the Deep South mostly as a whole, is very acidic. I've heard tales of exhumed Confederate officers in Georgia being removed to a cemetery and there being nothing left of them, except the buttons on their coats when they were buried.

Here in Upshur County around I think ten years back they exhumed an officer from the 10th TX Cavalry who died right after the War to move him to a cemetery not abandoned, and I think the only thing left was a few small pieces of deteriorated bone. (I got to dig out the Gilmer newspaper story covering that now.)

I don't know if its iron or what in the soil, but at least the Deep South, its ashes to ashes, dust to dust when your buried. I don't know how much of a problem it is elsewhere.

But GPR can pick up where the graves were originally if they've not been disturbed since burial. Some images they've picked up can make out individual graves in a mass grave, but there probably isn't anything left of the bodies. Soil is an amazing thing...

VERY possible. The soil in a lot of places, including the Deep South mostly as a whole, is very acidic. I've heard tales of exhumed Confederate officers in Georgia being removed to a cemetery and there being nothing left of them, except the buttons on their coats when they were buried...
The circumstance described to us by Tom during his short presentation concerned two graves right on top of Battery Robinette supposedly belonging to USCT soldiers who died sometime during the occupation or Reconstruction, I forget which. When exhumed all that was left of them were a few Federal eagle buttons and teeth.

DSC06162.JPG

However, the Yanks - or whatever's left of them - have a nice National Cemetery:

DSC06164.JPG

Sadly it's true . Not much remains of the brave young men that fought to protect this place from the invader . Some of us work very hard to keep their legacy alive . This discussion really makes me miss Stan Hughes . He was a good man and a good Son of the South .

There are NO monuments or markers there of any kind and their exact location on the grounds has likewise been forgotten.
The cemetery grounds or the battlefield grounds?

I know you and your traveling companion enjoy nature's bounty! I will be glad to show y'all this spot a couple hundred yards off of the road. Perhaps you will be abe to find a snake or two!!
Regards
David
1599765291815.png

Well at least we now know which of us would be discreet...
"AM Friday. September 25th (optional)

Morning Side Trip. Brice’s Crossroads. Led by Rusk County Avengers
"

What time are we scheduled to be boots-on-the-ground at Brice's Crossroads?

Michael there is no way you can or would be discreet! Nothing personal but you are far too large to hide and I have heard you coming from 300 yards away :bounce:
Regards
David

Who said anything about hiding? I'd just be sitting there on the ground innocently throwing rocks at it. What falls out with the dirt would just be a coincidence.....

"

All I know is its in the morning before Noon. Probably know better when we're all there and up that morning.

"

Its a 45 minute drive to Brice's Crossroads. I would leave NLT 0800 in order to get to the visitors center then the battlefield and see all there is to see and be back by 1200.

Back