shiloh haunting stories

My Sgt once told me of a story about Bloody Pond. He and another reenactor were standing next to the pond about dusk when a silloette of a person move between him and the other fellow. He said it was so frightening he had to go to his knees. He said after it past by it disapeared. He was a reliable source. Interesting story.

I've heard several ghosts stories about Shiloh, but I've never had any myself, even with being out in the park after dark a number of times.

One story I've heard involves a lady in white. But truth be told, I think some version of this same story is associated with a lot of historic places. Anyway, according to the story, sometimes when a visitor to the park gets lost, or starts feeling sad, a lady in white will suddenly appear and help them find their way out, or try to comfort them. But, she only appears to such people when they're alone. If someone else shows up, she vanishes.

I've gotten turned around out in the park before, and felt kind of sad about it, but no ladies in white dresses yet. I keep holding out hope though. :wink:

But probably the best "ghost story" I've heard from Shiloh came from a friend of mine who does some reenacting. He and his unit were camped somewhere around Duncan Field I think, and one night he was having trouble sleeping. So he got up and went for a walk, ending up in the ravine where Albert Sidney Johnston died. Mind you, this in the middle of the night. Suddenly a voice spoke up, saying, "Somber place, isn't it?" My friend didn't realize that someone else was already there, apparently for the same reason, and said he darn near died from fright. So that's his Shiloh ghost story. :smile:

Perry

Like I said above a few months ago, I've never had any kind of a ghost encounter at Shiloh (or anywhere else), but I did have kind of an eery experience there one time. If you've ever been to Shiloh, you've probably seen the small campground on the south side of the park, just across Highway 22. Literally, you walk across the road, you're in the park, that's how close it is. I was tent-camping there several years ago, in late-April. Stayed for several days, and I was the only person in the campground the entire time.

One night, I'm lying there half-awake, I think around 2 or so in the morning, when I suddenly heard footsteps swishing through the leaves outside, toward my tent. They came right up to my tent, and stopped. If you've ever had the experience of going from half-awake to way beyond fully awake with lightning speed, that was me.

I laid there for several minutes, listening with what you might call extreme interest, but didn't hear anything else. No more steps, no voice suddenly asking if I could give them directions to Corinth at 2 in the morning, nothing. Not a sound.

I thought about asking who was there and what do you want, but you have to be able to speak to do something like that. I've found that speaking with your heart in your throat is kind of hard to do. So I kept quiet.

I finally summoned the courage to step outside and find out what was going on. So I opened the tent-fly and jumped out, using my flashlight like it was some kind of light-saber, flashing it all over the place. Nothing. No person, no animal, no ghost, no nothing. I checked the ground around my tent, and found no footprints.

What's more, I also realized that there were no leaves on the ground near my tent, despite the fact that I very clearly heard footsteps coming through the leaves. So I went back inside, and pretended to sleep for a few hours till the sun came up.

I'm 99.99% convinced that it was just a dream. The campground is located on ground where part of the Confederate army lined up for battle on the night of April 5th, and I knew that. So I'm sure that my mind was just having a little fun by scaring the absolute hell out of me. And yeah, it worked. :smile:

In fact, it worked so well that I can still hear those footsteps in my mind, swishing toward me through the leaves, as if it happened last night. It's one of the more realistic sound-effect dreams I think I've ever had.

Perry

last year at the 150th event we were on the property of the fallen timbers when we stopp to camp for the night i had an encounter with an officer who im not sure was apart of the reenactmetn or the actual battle. it was during the night fight we were supose to have where i got seperated from the group by command of my officer going throught the woods , now may i remind you its pitch black dark i cant see my hand in front of my face, an officer stopped me and told me to trun around or il alert the yanks so i did. when i got back to my co he asked me why idnt i follow through with his orders and i told him what happen and he told me there was no officer ove4r there

When I was in high school I was always fascinated by Shiloh. So whenever I went up to pick wick to have fun with my friends I would always make them go to the battle fields with me. We probably went to Shiloh 2 - 3 times a year. Me and my buddy Jonny loved it, while Austin hated it and wanted to go home lol. We would walk around checking stuff out and looking around as if we were searching for treasure. Well the last time I went we had just left Pittsburg landing (I can't really remember where we were coming from) and headed to the bloody pond. I can't ever remember seeing fish in there anytime before when I went to the pond. These fish were white and resembled coy fish. I've searched for info on this mysterious fish several times before but couldn't find anything until recent. A couple of gentleman had documented about the fish, one claiming that there were huge fish and wish they could have had a rod and reel to catch them and one claiming that they were minnows possibly in the there keeping the mosquito population down. Well when I first noticed the fish I was drawn to them and I'm not sure why. They would come right up to the bank I guess looking for food. Well me and Jonny walked to the left of the pond on the bank looking at these weird fish and Austin was standing on the tree line looking into the forest. We stared for a while looking at the fish there was probably 7 of them and eventually Austin joined us. Nothing was said until I felt the need to tell my friends that these fish were the souls of the dead soldiers that fought here. Immediately all of those fish slapped the top of the water and made my hair stand on end. Me, Jonny, and Austin looked at each other and got into the car quickly. We left the park and I haven't been back since. I hope to see them soon though. On the way back we thought of anything that could have made those fish jump so violently. We couldn't think of anything and came to the conclusion that these fish were indeed the souls of those soliders.

Back