Shiloh 159th Battle Anniversary

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
The Battle of Shiloh was fought 159 years ago along the banks of the Tennessee River in West Tennessee. Over 24,000 men were killed, wounded, captured or simply lost. It was the most horrific battle in American History when over 100,000 men were doing their best to kill each other.

I am going to post several photos from all over the battlefield for those who have never had the opportunity to visit this most beautiful of all our National Military Parks.
Regards
David

The front gates of the National Cemetery
1617740710011.png

These cannons mark where General Grant's Headquarters where the night of Sunday, April 6, 19862 in the present day National Cemetery

1617741001406.png

Just a few of the 3,584 Civil War dead with 2,359 of them unknown

1617741282272.png

Perhaps the most iconic monument in the whole Park, the United Daughters of the Confederacy's Confederate Memorial. Erected at a cost of $50,000 in 1917, this beautiful testament to the valor and dedication of the Confederate soldier is full of symbolism. The Park service has placed signage which helps the visitor understand and see the hidden message the sculptor, Frederick Cleveland Hibbard incorporated in the structure.
Regards
David
PS Will post more later as I am on the way to an Ole Miss baseball game

The UDC Confederate Memorial

1617743788183.png

The signage which explains the symbolism

1617744308591.png

One of the 29 known temporary burial trenches for Union regiments. This one for the 14th Illinois is located just Southeast of Woolf Field on the right flank of the Federal army. The 14th Illinois was heavily engaged in the battle and suffered 35 KIA, 126 WIA, 4 MIA a total of 165 out of 722 present for duty, a loss percentage of 23%.
Regards
David

1617824756958.png

Close up of the marker

1617825002255.png

This Confederate Burial Trench, one of the 5 known locations, is perhaps the least visted as it is about 300 yards East of the Shiloh Meeting House in the woods. This small trench, about 27 ' x 12' almost certainly contains remains from the 6th Mississippi of Cleburne's Command which lost 300 men from its total of 425 present for duty. This was the largest regimental loss of the battle with 70%.
Regards
David

1617827340994.png

This Union burial trench for the 43rd Illinois is mere yards from the Confederate Burial Trench pictured above. The 43rd had 50 KIA, 118 WIA, 29 MIA a total of 197 from 622 present for duty a loss of 32%

1617828367227.png

One of the 29 known temporary burial trenches for Union regiments.
Those signs can be a little misleading. The closest burial marker to Spain's Field in that of the 7th Illinois Infantry which is a few hundred yards to the west. The reinterment records for the National Cemetery show 12 burial sites around the field with from 1 to 30 soldiers buried in each one for a total of 119 burials. Of those, only 37 could be identified. One of the sites had 30 men in one trench and some had been unearthed by hogs. There are notes showing that there were at least 10 Confederates buried nearby. This just around Spain Field.
Other locations mark the original burial location of numerous soldiers, Union and Confederate, who were buried in individual graves, in trenches, or in pits. I have seen several locations where Union soldiers were buried in pits but there was no burial marker posted anywhere near.
Many of the graves had been disturbed by hogs. The Union soldiers were moved to the cemetery and any exposed Confederates were reburied.
These records, available through Ancestry.com, are sure to surprise people who have pre-conceived ideas about how the burials took place.

As far as I know, the only 2 individual Confederate regimental monuments at Shiloh were paid for by private funds as the former Confederate states were not financially able to afford monuments honoring their sons as Union states did.
Regards
David

The 2nd Tennessee, commanded by Colonel William Bates, was part of Cleburne's command and was heavily engaged just yards West of the Shiloh Meeting House. The monument was funded by a public drive led by Colonel Bates who passed before the dedication in 1905.
Regards
David

1617841162361.png

The Crescent Regiment of Louisiana was part of Colonel Preston Pond's command and was involved in the surrender of the Union troops. Dr. Yves R. Lemonnier paid for the monument which was erected in 1915, however he was ID as a member of Company B only.

1617843322560.png

As far as I know, the only 2 individual Confederate regimental monuments at Shiloh were paid for by private funds as the former Confederate states were not financially able to afford monuments honoring their sons as Union states did.
Regards
David

The 2nd Tennessee, commanded by Colonel William Bates, was part of Cleburne's command and was heavily engaged just yards West of the Shiloh Meeting House. The monument was funded by a public drive led by Colonel Bates who passed before the dedication in 1905.
Regards
David

View attachment 396910

The Crescent Regiment of Louisiana was part of Colonel Preston Pond's command and was involved in the surrender of the Union troops. Dr. Yves R. Lemonnier paid for the monument which was erected in 1915, however he was ID as a member of Company B only.

View attachment 396920
Great memories! I thought about you, @16thAL and all you good folks last week-end. Hope it was a lovely day to honor our fallen 🇺🇸...

Great memories! I thought about you, @16thAL and all you good folks last week-end. Hope it was a lovely day to honor our fallen 🇺🇸...
Last weekend we honored our ancestors another way . Myself and @MS2623 had the honor of assisting @ucvrelics and @redbob playing with artillery in Corinth .
KIMG1000.JPG

The 9th Illinois, a part of McArthurs of W. H. L. Wallace's 2nd division was stationed on the far right flank of Grant's army and suffered heavily during the battle. The unit incurred 366 casualties from 578 present for duty a loss rate 63%!
Regards
David

The monument is located in the Southeast National Cemetery overlooking the Tennessee River.

1618412965338.png

1618413149522.png

On Sunday April 6, at about 8 am the right flank of Cleburne’s brigade entered the expanse of Rhea field and encountered the 53rd Ohio commanded by Colonel Jesse Appler and “the death angel reigned.” Supporting the 53rd was Waterhouse’s Battery E, 1st Illinois Light Artillery armed with two 3.5” and four 4.5” James Rifled guns.

The Confederate regiments, the 6th​ Mississippi and the 23rd​ Tennessee were roughly handled with the Mississippians losing 70% of their force.
Regards
David

Looking West
1618416844656.png

Looking East towards where the Ohioans were in line of battle

1618417240095.png

Looking East with the 53rd Ohio's campsite tablet and unit monument in center of the field
Regards
David
1618417759692.png

Waterhouse's tablet

1618418044479.png

The location of Waterhouse's section in Rhea Field

1618418567108.png

A close up of the barrel of the 3.8" James Rifle, Bronze Type I, Ames

1618419308239.png

This picture taken on the Corinth Road facing North with the present day Shiloh Methodist Church located at the top of the hill. The 6th Mississippi and 23rd Tennesse were moving on the right side of this road into Rhea Field.
Regards
David

1618419880419.png

This tablet marks the position of a rare bird! The 3rd​ Confederate infantry was originally organized as the 18th​ Arkansas but the name was changed to the 3rd​ Confederate. This location is within the civilian Shiloh Cemetery adjacent to the Shiloh Methodist Church along the Corinth Road

1618421602799.png

James are you sure that the Iowa monument is your favorite? I suspicion many a Texan would disagree! :smile:
Regards
David

Perhaps this one might please a few?
View attachment 397682
I stand on my word - Although the Texas State Monuments are helpful and uniformly informative they could never be accused of being neither beautiful nor artistic, and are all likewise uniformly alike, other than the one at Vicksburg which is mainly just a larger version of the same, featuring an incredibly ugly bronze "Texan"! (The statue's only saving grace is the M.1855 rifle he's armed with.)

James are you sure that the Iowa monument is your favorite? I suspicion many a Texan would disagree! :smile:
Regards
David

Perhaps this one might please a few?
View attachment 397682
Well, now what about Arkansas? They showed up tall and proud! 😁
(Alas...I have no more Shiloh monuments left to “edit”).....
0A829C47-3EF3-4352-9B0E-447A9E44A006.jpeg

Back