Shiloh 150th Anniversary Reenactment, April, 2012

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Part I - In The Camp
IM000871a.JPG

Above, camp of Union artillery Saturday morning during the first Confederate scripted attack. (The battle was occurring to the south but was very audible.) Below, another view just a little later - our medical camp/exhibit was between this camp and the huge sutler area near the main event parking lot. There were very few remaining in camp at this time because most were off in the woods participating in the morning tactical.

IM000871.JPG

IMG_0533.jpg

I attended with my friends Doug @1863surgeon in center background and his sons Bradley at right and Morgan (not shown; at center is another of our members), Chad Gordon, and "Doc" Thomason. We were able to take advantage of the location to patronize the photographer's tent and get several outstanding ambrotypes made.

IM000869a.JPG

Above, Doug is seated in the center while the photographer adjusts Bradley's Federal kepi at left and Rebel Morgan stands at right. Since we were in neither camp, Doug and I were generic surgeons but Bradley always preferred the Union and Morgan the Confederacy.

IM000870.JPG

Above and below, the Daguerrean artiste at work.

IM000870a.JPG

Daguerrean Art resulting from our patronage at the photographer's tent:

1615307926134.png
1615307991885.png
1615308019428.png
1615308084249.png
1615308117847.png

IM000883.JPG

Above and below shows the inside of a more elaborate establishment!

IM000884a.JPG

Last edited:
Part II - The Saturday Battle
1615307457979.png

Above and below, prior to the Saturday spectator battle the Confederates prepare to march out; that evening the spectacular cloud mass had continued to build into an equally spectacular and terrifying thunderstorm during the dance and social but which bypassed our event here near Shiloh NMP only to deluge another smaller event being held at the same time to the south on land where had been held the 145th Shiloh event five years previously: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/145th-anniversary-reenactment-of-shiloh-march-16-18-2007.133078/ The storm was so severe there that we heard tents were damaged and blown down amid torrents of rain; meanwhile, our event was left dry and untouched!

1615307521665.png

1615307553474.png

Above, Union dismounted cavalry acting as skirmishers prepare to march off to their side of the Hornet's Nest; below, a portion of the Saturday afternoon spectator crowd with the Union position in the edge of the trees in the background.

1615307615103.png

IM000876.JPG

Unlike previous Shiloh events I opted to sit participation in this one out acting as a spectator. Being in uniform had allowed me access to those places where the troops were mustering, but once the action began I returned to the spectator area and took these few photos.

IM000877.JPG
IM000878.JPG

At least we had a good view of the backs of the Confederate artillery bombarding the Federal position in the Hornet's Nest!

IM000879.JPG
IM000880.JPG

Mister, here's your mule!

IM000881.JPG
IM000882.JPG

Last edited:
Part III - Visiting Shiloh NMP
100_1053.jpg

I took advantage of our slack schedule plus nearness to the actual Shiloh NMP to make several short visits during our weekend stay. Above, standing with Morgan at right and another friend at Ruggles' Line of Confederate artillery facing the real Hornets' Nest. For additional photos taken in the park, please see the thread: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/shiloh-national-military-park.88400/

100_1049.jpg

Above and below, listening to the recorded message and reading the signage at the Sunken Road.

100_1052.jpg

100_1048.jpg

Last edited:
Back during the CWT Muster, when Tom and I were on our way to Corinth, (those long trips are always quiet), Tom dropped a bombshell on me that he had went to the 150th Shiloh event with a battery and had loads of fun in the morning skirmish and Ruggles Battery. I had to look at him and inquire "Why didn't you invite me, I wanted to go that reenactment!" the reply being "Never thought of it." even though I had been visiting him the week before he went.

I got to do a Shiloh event one day, which you never know whether one's happening or not thanks to some toxic politics at the 150th. I got invited to Campaigner event I think next year at Shiloh, but all they're doing is gathering everyone they can to try and replicate a whole Confederate battalion in camp and drill. I told them if they decided to do a battle event, or a march from Corinth to Shiloh, call me, but what they got planned is kind of an insult to me.

Ain't no way I'm gonna go all out on making myself a proper Shiloh-period uniform, accoutrements, and put up with demands to defarb a repro musket, drive 300 miles, just to drill.

Great photos and story as always James! I wish I could've been there.

Back