Sherrick House at Antietam Interior Photographs/Tour

What an awesome thread @LittleMac! I so appreciate this tour! I have always wanted to see inside this house and thanks to you I finally got to do so. I agree with @Lampasas Bill's theory about the pegs on the wall.
Thank you! I’m so glad that I’ve been able to share these pictures, and that you enjoy them. I hope someday that Sherrick House will be truly opened. The theory about the pegs on the wall would fit in perfectly with the room’s purpose as Sherrick’s office. I’m glad I posed the question! I’d been wondering about that for a while.

192.JPG

Since you didn't show it in its setting, I thought I would, but I find that despite several visits all my photos of the site concentrate on the guns on the ridge above and not much on the Sherrick and Otto houses below them, though they can somewhat be made out in the one below taken in April, 2018, due to the leafless trees.

DSC05650.JPG

I've never been able to get inside the house..Thanks!

I have to congenially disagree about the pegs on the wall....they were for picture hanging...that was how they used to do it....

With that said,..I'm wondering why more of the rooms do not have the wall pegs..I guess that some have gone away over the years from the other rooms...If that was the only room with the pegs, that tells you something about the importance of the room (living room? office?)

The barn you weren't sure of I believe would be a type of corn crib. The ears go into after being picked and they dry in there.

If it's a corn crib....why is the building raised off of the ground?....so asks the city boy....to keep ground moisture out?

I've never been able to get inside the house..Thanks!

I have to congenially disagree about the pegs on the wall....they were for picture hanging...that was how they used to do it....

With that said,..I'm wondering why more of the rooms do not have the wall pegs..I guess that some have gone away over the years from the other rooms...If that was the only room with the pegs, that tells you something about the importance of the room (living room? office?)
If we go with your interpretation, maybe Sherrick had some nice paintings/art he wanted to show off when dealing with clients/etc.? Add a genteel air about the room? The Sherrick House hews closely to the idea of displaying wealth in its details and architecture, so this would be consistent. Thanks for your input!

A picture is, indeed, worth a thousand words....so, I guess a peg is a peg, is a peg.....so, why not use them for 'hanging storage'!

Now I'm thinking both would apply....
In photos I've seen of restored nineteenth century interiors, the pictures on the wall are usually suspended from ridiculously long cord hangers attached to the moldings around the ceiling rather than on rails like these at the height of the door frames, so I'm inclined to think these pegboards are in fact for hanging other things like in @Eleanor Rose's above picture.

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. I'm not into museums for some reason, but I just love touring old homes like this and being able to see how it is inside. I'm so glad they at least are able to preserve it even though it's not able to be open to the public. I'm also delighted to know what the foundation was to, I've always wondered.

In photos I've seen of restored nineteenth century interiors, the pictures on the wall are usually suspended from ridiculously long cord hangers attached to the moldings around the ceiling rather than on rails like these at the height of the door frames, so I'm inclined to think these pegboards are in fact for hanging other things like in @Eleanor Rose's above picture.

You just described exactly what I was thinking....but I couldn't remember how high they (pictures) were hung....and I did note, in the pictures, that the pegs were of door frame height...which in turn had me trying to remember how high pictures were hung...

You guys are convincing me...I stand corrected

If it's a corn crib....why is the building raised off of the ground?....so asks the city boy....to keep ground moisture out?
The main reason cribs are raised is to prevent puddled water from getting in and to keep air circulating to deter mold . Those stone bases wouldn't stop a rat or mouse .

Back