Sherman's troops removing ammunition

tmh10

Major
03160v.jpg

Savannah, Ga., vicinity. Sherman's troops removing ammunition from Fort McAllister in wheelbarrows].
CREATED/PUBLISHED
[1864 December]
SUMMARY
Photograph of the War in the West. These photographs are of Sherman at the sea, December 1864. After marching through Georgia for a month, Sherman stormed Fort McAllister on December 13, 1864 and captured Savannah itself 8 days later. These seven views are limited to the former stronghold and its dismantling preparatory to Sherman's further movement northward. This operation was ordered on December 24, and Gen. William B. Hazen [2d Division, 15th Corps] and Maj. Thomas W. Osborn, Chief of Artillery, had it completed by December 29, storing the gunsat Fort Pulaski.
NOTES
Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0716
Title from Milhollen and Mugridge.
Two plates form left (LC-B811-3503A) and right (LC-B811-3503B) halves of a stereograph pair.
Corresponding print is in LOT 4166-G.
Forms part of Selected Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 (Library of Congress)

I see one I think is for sure and a couple who might be mix-blood. Kind of odd how both sides had Indians but didn't seem to have much problem with them serving beside whites - unless they looked mixed with black. (You do mean a feather, not a dot? :D Last time I had to put my race down someplace I said, "Indian" and the guy said, "Feather or dot?")

These guys just marched 400 miles. One might suspect varying degrees of tan.

I was looking at features, mainly. The guy in the front on the left looks it and so does the guy way down toward the end of the line on the right, second back of the guy with the towel wrapped around his head. As to their cheer, I don't think I'd be too happy to be toting ammunition around! :bomb:

Isn't that a bunker or bomb-proof shelter the square thing is sticking out of? Seems there are guys lounging around the doorway of a bunker of some sort. I thought the pole was something to do with the telegraph - but maybe the things I'm looking at as wires are just some part of the way the photograph is set.

Isn't that a bunker or bomb-proof shelter the square thing is sticking out of? Seems there are guys lounging around the doorway of a bunker of some sort. I thought the pole was something to do with the telegraph - but maybe the things I'm looking at as wires are just some part of the way the photograph is set.

I do see it now......the guy in the doorway of the "shelter" in the hillside. Maybe that square coming out of the side....over the door.....is a vent.

They don't look too happy, whom ever they are...

Really? Several appear to be suppressing a grin. At the time the habit was not to smile for photographs, hence all the stern faces in family photos.

Considering they had recently made a very long march and come out safely on the other side, I suspect they were reasonably happy.

I was looking at features, mainly. The guy in the front on the left looks it and so does the guy way down toward the end of the line on the right, second back of the guy with the towel wrapped around his head. As to their cheer, I don't think I'd be too happy to be toting ammunition around! :bomb:

Wonder if the towel is actually bandages.

I see one I think is for sure and a couple who might be mix-blood. Kind of odd how both sides had Indians but didn't seem to have much problem with them serving beside whites - unless they looked mixed with black. (You do mean a feather, not a dot? :D Last time I had to put my race down someplace I said, "Indian" and the guy said, "Feather or dot?")

I thought the dot meant the coffees done.

Back