Sherman Film

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Sherman, hero or villain?

• Total voters
My brother and I are currently in post-production on a Civil War dramatic film, adapted from an Off-Broadway play, depicting Major General Sherman on the eve of his March to the Sea in Atlanta in 1864 and later before giving his "War is all hell" commencement address at Michigan Military Academy in 1879.

It's an incredible project shot at Valley Forge Military Academy & College, Widener University (the old Pennsylvania Military Academy), and 19th century homes along the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. We were also fortunate to film additional footage at the Battle of Cedar Creek Reenactment.

We're launching a Kickstarter next week to get through post. Feel free to check out Instagram.com/samuelsbrothers and Facebook.com/thesamuelsbrothers for pictures from set and information about the project. Feel free to shoot over any questions too. It would be great to talk with all of you.

We're looking forward to submitting to film festivals and hope to premiere at the Atlanta Film Festival. We'll keep you posted when the Kickstarter goes live and hope to have your support! Even a few dollars will go a long way.

Burning Billy

Sergeant
Best of luck on your venture!

It will probably come as no surprise that I voted Hero. His reputation as a 19th Century Attila the Hun is far overblown, as most of the destruction caused by his army was directed at railroads and war industries. Next to Lincoln and Grant he's the person most responsible for preserving the United States.

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
For helping to bring the war to a swifter and more certain end, and for helping to maintain the Union, to the Union side he is a hero.
For the destruction he wreaked in the process, done to lives as well as property, to the Confederate side he is a villain.

I guess it all depends which side you're on.

He was a man on a mission, and his mission was to help bring the Confederacy to its knees. If nothing else, he succeeded in the task he was given.