Sherman Sherman and Notre Dame

frontrank2

Captain
Forum Host
One of the most famous generals of the Civil War was intimately connected to Notre Dame. Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman sent his children to Notre Dame and St. Mary’s during the war, while his wife Ellen lived in South Bend. The Shermans’ oldest son, nine-year old Willy, was enrolled in the Minim department but took ill visiting his father at camp after the Battle of Vicksburg. He died of “camp fever” in October 1863. Tragically, the Shermans buried another son, 10-month old Charley, ( continued ): https://175.nd.edu/175-moments/gen-william-t-sherman-at-notre-dame/

sherman_wm.jpg

Just came across this in the link: "Both Gen. Sherman and Ellen played key roles in providing an exemption from the Conscription Act of 1863 for Holy Cross brothers." They were able to conscript Catholic Brothers to the army? I would have thought they'd be automatically exempt due their religious affiliation. So interesting.

Just came across this in the link: "Both Gen. Sherman and Ellen played key roles in providing an exemption from the Conscription Act of 1863 for Holy Cross brothers." They were able to conscript Catholic Brothers to the army? I would have thought they'd be automatically exempt due their religious affiliation. So interesting.
I was not aware of that. Like you said , exemption of Religious one would think a no brainer

Could be his second son Thomas Ewing Sherman who went on to become a Jesuit priest.
I seem to remember reading about this son, and that he had a difficult relationship with his father who tended to favour the older son, Willy, who passed away so tragically. You would never guess that from the photo shared here, if it is Thomas.

General Sherman was depending on Thomas to oversee the family finances and business affairs. But to his disappointment, Thomas entered the seminary in 1878 with his father boycotting the ordination in 1879. In 1891, Father Tom conducted the gravesite services for his father but had been unable to say goodbye to his dying father as he was in London studying Theology.

Back