Sherman’s transportation through Georgia

Musket Man

Private
This may seem like a strange question. I have read several different books about the Atlanta campaign and Shermans march through Georgia. I was talking to a gentleman about this topic and he stated that Sherman rode via the railroad behind his troops? He couldn’t tell me the source of his information.

Has anyone read or have any information on this? I can only think that at some point he had to be traveling by horse back?

Thanks

Just look at a map and you will see how silly the statement is. The railroads ran east-west, Sherman went southeast. Sherman crossed railroads and tore them up. Sherman MAY have ridden in the army's trains -- the wagon trains carrying the army's supplies -- but I doubt
I would agree with you as well. I would imagine Sherman would be a hands on General staying in contact with his men.

This may seem like a strange question. I have read several different books about the Atlanta campaign and Shermans march through Georgia. I was talking to a gentleman about this topic and he stated that Sherman rode via the railroad behind his troops? He couldn’t tell me the source of his information.

Has anyone read or have any information on this? I can only think that at some point he had to be traveling by horse back?

Thanks
Sherman rode on horseback virtually the whole way from north Georgia to Atlanta and then on to Savannah and the Carolinas.

The Georga Central ran east in a roundabout way then southeast. I live about 600 feet from the old railroad bed here in Gayton, Ga.

Back