Sheriff’s Office opening inquiry into threats that prompted Lake County Civil War Days cancellation

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
FOB2G555DJBPNEYP3P5UH23GFY.jpg

Confederate calvary members get into position during a mock battle at Civil War Days in the Lakewood Forest Preserve July 11, 2018. (Michael Schmidt, Lake County News-Sun)

The Lake County Sheriff’s Office announced Tuesday that it has requested information from the Lake County Forest Preserves about threats related to this week’s cancellation of the annual Civil War Days event.
In the statement, sheriff’s officials said they offered Friday to conduct an investigation into the threats and safety concerns for the Lakewood Forest Preserve event, telling forest preserves officials that all they needed was an official request to start such an inquiry.

Forest preserves officials initially made no such request, according to the statement, and instead on Monday put out a statement that they were cancelling the scheduled mid-July reenactment event over “public safety concerns” after consulting with local and state law enforcement agencies.

However,
, the statement added that on Tuesday forest preserves board Commissioner Dick Barr "requested the Sheriff’s Office conduct a criminal investigation into the threats, to determine if the threats were criminal in nature, and if so, work to hold those accountable who made such threats.”

It went on to say that sheriff’s investigators have requested from the forest preserves administration, “all of the documentation and information surrounding any threats made concerning ‘Civil War Days.’...
REST OF ARTICLE: https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...0190625-4e24fcxdybfurb2aduu2momzjq-story.html

Given the hoopla over that event, and everything I've heard said from both sides, I can't help but wonder if the commissioner who led the charge to cancel it had his secretary or a friend call in the threats to get the advantage in the political chaos.

Seen in the meeting room:

first politician-"We need to cancel this event because nothing happened! Plus racists with rebel flags will be every where!"
second politician- "We've been doing it for years and it brings revenue into the town. Why should we lose that money?"
first politician- "Uhhh, we've gotten threats by people who want to blow it up!"
second politician- "You made that up! We haven't got any threats!"
first politician- (While looking at his phone texting) "Oh yes we have! We've been getting threating phone calls everyday."
second politician-"Prove it."
(phone rings first politician answers it)
first politician- "Its them listen to them their calling in a threat right now!"
second politician- "Well if the public's safety is at risk I guess we should cancel."

(That's just me jesting about how it happened, not saying it happened that way.)

Given the hoopla over that event, and everything I've heard said from both sides, I can't help but wonder if the commissioner who led the charge to cancel it had his secretary or a friend call in the threats to get the advantage in the political chaos.

Seen in the meeting room:

first politician-"We need to cancel this event because nothing happened! Plus racists with rebel flags will be every where!"
second politician- "We've been doing it for years and it brings revenue into the town. Why should we lose that money?"
first politician- "Uhhh, we've gotten threats by people who want to blow it up!"
second politician- "You made that up! We haven't got any threats!"
first politician- (While looking at his phone texting) "Oh yes we have! We've been getting threating phone calls everyday."
second politician-"Prove it."
(phone rings first politician answers it)
first politician- "Its them listen to them their calling in a threat right now!"
second politician- "Well if the public's safety is at risk I guess we should cancel."

(That's just me jesting about how it happened, not saying it happened that way.)
Funny they didn't notify the Sherriff...either way, I trust he'll get to the bottom of it whether they want him to or not . :wink:

I have read numerous articles about this. The councilman who wanted this cancelled already had his mind made up. This event was over long ago. The claim of "threats" are no doubt bogus and now those responsible are tripping over themselves to cover up their involvement

Back