Forum Host
Annual Winner
The Battle of Third Winchester (September 19, 1864) "Fording Red Bud Run"

DSC_0068.JPG

Fort Collier

DSC_0043.JPG

Winchester National Cemetery

DSC_0177.JPG

Mount Hebron Cemetery (Confederate Section)

DSC_0158.JPG

The Battle of Fisher's Hill (September 22, 1864) "Ramseur Hill"

DSC_0457.JPG

The Entrance to the Fisher's Hill Battlefield

DSC_0443.JPG

The Battle of Tom's Brook (October 9, 1864) "Virginia State Marker"

DSC_0474.JPG

Civil War Trails Marker

DSC_0475.JPG

The Battle of Cedar Creek (October 19, 1864) "The Heater House"

DSC_0330.JPG

The Bowman Mill Site on the Cedar Creek (Confederate Camp Site)

DSC_0382.JPG

The 8th Vermont Monument

DSC_0391.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Attachments

• DSC_0177.JPG
    DSC_0177.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
The Third Battle of Winchester Trail Map from the Civil War Trust

cwpt-third-winchester-2.jpg

The Trailhead Kiosk

DSC_0045.JPG

The Trailhead walking south

DSC_0055.JPG

Confederate Horse Artillery Wayside

DSC_0059.JPG

Red Bud Run / The Attack of the 8th Corps

DSC_0061.JPG

Hackwood House Wayside

DSC_0070.JPG

Union Victories in the Valley Wayside

DSC_0083.JPG

The Middle Field Wayside (Heaviest Fighting Field)

DSC_0091.JPG

Confederate Defense Setup Field

DSC_0087.JPG

The Red Bud Run

DSC_0101.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Attachments

• DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 260
Wonderful, wonderful pictures!

How much of this is accessible by driving, without the need for an extended walk? I'm visiting the area next week and will be bringing my father along, who isn't able to walk very far these days.

Wonderful, wonderful pictures!

How much of this is accessible by driving, without the need for an extended walk? I'm visiting the area next week and will be bringing my father along, who isn't able to walk very far these days.

Jeff,

You can enter this trail through the north parking area and the southeastern parking area. The trail is 100% walking. I would try to walk him to the Red Bud Run Wayside from the north parking area. There is a bench near the water where he can sit and wait for you to complete the bottom loop of the trail. There is a hill which leads down to the Red Bud Run. My wife has a bad knee but she made the short trek.

This venue is awesome! Garry Adelman and Tim Smith at CWT did a fantastic job designing this bloody hallowed ground.

Bill

Last edited:
Great pics, Bill.

The last time I used that crossing over Red Bud Run, it was during the freak pre-Halloween snow storm of October 2012. Scott Patchan took a bunch of us on a death march all over the middle field that day. I've never so cold, tired, and wet in my life.

I had my first visit of the new Huntsberry Farm property owned by the Foundation a couple of weeks ago during Ted Alexander's event. That new property is pretty spectacular. If you haven't visited it yet, do yourself a favor and do so.

Great pics, Bill.

The last time I used that crossing over Red Bud Run, it was during the freak pre-Halloween snow storm of October 2012. Scott Patchan took a bunch of us on a death march all over the middle field that day. I've never so cold, tired, and wet in my life.

I had my first visit of the new Huntsberry Farm property owned by the Foundation a couple of weeks ago during Ted Alexander's event. That new property is pretty spectacular. If you haven't visited it yet, do yourself a favor and do so.

Thanks, Eric!

This was my very first visit to the Shenandoah Valley.

God willing, it won't be my last!

I could have spent a month visiting the Civil War sites from Winchester to Lexington, Virginia.

Bill

Thanks, Eric!

This was my very first visit to the Shenandoah Valley.

God willing, it won't be my last!

I could have spent a month visiting the Civil War sites from Winchester to Lexington, Virginia.

Bill

It's easy to do. :smile:

If the truth be told, we bit off more than we could realistically chew on that trip two weeks ago. We spent about 2.5 hours at Third Winchester, then went to Fisher's Hill, and only had 1.5 hours to cover Cedar Creek. As you probably realize from your own experience, you can't do any of it justice in that fashion. We should have just done Third Winchester or just done Cedar Creek. And, as much as it pains me to admit this, Ed Bearss is definitely showing his age. He had a hard time physically, and he's also starting to slip mentally--he has absolutely no filter any more. Jeff Wert and I tried to keep him on track, but that's not an easy thing to do. Truly, it's a shame to see the ravages of old age catch up with Ed, but he is 91 after all, and time inevitably marches on.

Anyway, I didn't see any photos from Tom's Brook in your travelogue. That's some of the prettiest ground in all of the Valley. On your next trip there, be sure to visit the Tom's Brook battlefield. You won't regret it.

Anyway, I didn't see any photos from Tom's Brook in your travelogue. That's some of the prettiest ground in all of the Valley. On your next trip there, be sure to visit the Tom's Brook battlefield. You won't regret it.

There are two photos of Tom's Brook in the opening post, Eric.

I sure hope I am still lolly-gagging around battlefields at 91 years of age.

Semper Fi, Mr. Bearss!!!

There are two photos of Tom's Brook in the opening post, Eric.

I sure hope I am still lolly-gagging around battlefields at 91 years of age.

Semper Fi, Mr. Bearss!!!

So there are--my bad. Sorry for missing those.

That makes two of us. I often say that Ed has forgotten more about the Civil War than I can ever hope to know. He's one of those people with a truly photographic memory. He'll be speaking and will close his eyes, and you can almost hear him flipping through the mental note cards in his brain. He's a national treasure, but at 91, his days are clearly numbered. It will be a sad, sad day when we finally lose him.

By the way, I've been invited to speak to the Cincinnati CWRT next year. Hopefully, I will get to meet you in person there.

Bill,

You're making me look forward more and more to returning; one of my favorite memories of Cedar Creek had nothing to do with the war, but rather a WONDERFUL plate of peanut soup at the inn at Middleton!

I have been told that the museum at Hupp's Hill is the best place to go for information about how to visit all the local battlefields. Is this true?

The Hupp's Hill complex is a very nice Civil War site with a very good museum. The museum is only $5.00 but touring the site with preserved earthworks is free. I am very happy I stopped at this venue after I toured the Cedar Creek Battlefield and before I toured the Fisher's Hill Battlefield.

Back