Shenandoah Valley 1864 Sheridan's 1864 Shenandoah Campaign

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Entrance to Hupp's Hill Civil War Park off US 11 (Valley Pike) just north of Strasburg, Virginia.

DSC_0413.JPG

Hupp's Hill Visitor Center

DSC_0421.JPG

Hupp's Hill Walking Trail with Earthworks

DSC_0424.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Virginia Historic Marker off US 11

DSC_0414.JPG

Preserved Earthworks

DSC_0415.JPG

Civil War Trails Marker (Battle of Hupp's Hill or Strickley's Farm)

DSC_0419.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2014)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Today marks the anniversary of the Battle of Tom's Brook, Virginia (October 9, 1864). This cavalry battle was part of the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864.

FB_IMG_1444410420793.jpg

LCYingling3rd

Private
* Today marks the anniversary of the Third Battle of Winchester, Virginia.

View attachment 414557
Good morning and thank you for bumping this thread! I loved reading it! My great grandfather on my father's side, George E. Yingling, was in the 87th PA of the First Brigade, Third Division, 6th Corps and was involved in the entire campaign. My great, great grandfather on my mother's side, Thomas J. Bishop, was in the 7th VA Cavalry of Thomas Rosser's "Laurel Brigade." He was present from Tom's Brook to Cedar Creek. Cedar Creek was the only battle those ancestors fought against one another at. Attending the 150th living history weekend at Cedar Creek in 2014 was a moving experience for me. The Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation held a descendant's dinner for us at the Hupp's Hill museum on Friday October 17th. I attended the reenactment as a spectator Saturday the 18th, and I toured the Cedar Creek battlefield on the actual anniversary on Sunday the 19th. It was a spectacular day; I traced the path from Fisher's Hill to Bowman's Ford, went through the 8th Corps position then hiked the trails to the 19th Corps trenches. I passed Belle Grove and being up on Red Hill where the 87th camped and fought in the morning was amazing. I drove over and enjoyed standing down at the Cupp's Mill site where the 7th VA Cavalry attacked in the morning and my ancestor T. J. Bishop was severely wounded, and ended my tour at 4pm where the 87th stepped off for the counter attack...being there 150 years to the day, hour, and minute that my ancestor was there was an essentially transcendent moment in my life.

I do thank you for bumping this thread on the 157th Anniversary of the Third Battle of Winchester. It is one of my favorite battles to study. Somewhat lessor known as far as battles go, I still think it is a key battle in the history of the war. First in the string of victories that ultimately led to depriving the Confederacy of the fruits of the Shenandoah Valley and placing it in Union control, it was also a tactically interesting, and at times, desperate fight. A classic example of the effective use of the combination of Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry, I believe it merits close examination. I toured the battlefield years ago, however, the Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation has done amazing preservation and interpretative work in recent years and I have to return soon to tour it and enjoy the excellent work they have done.

Thanks again, Lew