Shenandoah Valley Visit

25th OVI

Cadet
I hope to travel up the Shenandoah Valley this summer. While I have read quite a bit about the war in the Valley, I have spent very little time there other than visiting Harpers Ferry and Lexington. If anyone can recommend a couple of must-see battlefields in the Valley or other highlights I would greatly appreciate it.

New Market for sure. It's self contained but it is a state park and has an admission fee (worth it). I would focus on New Market and sites in the lower valley such as Cedar Creek, Kernstown etc

Cross Keys and Port Republic in the upper valley are diving tours and not much walking to them that is connected. You spend more time in the car than on the battlefield and they are nowhere near the cluster of sites that are in teh lower valley

I hope to travel up the Shenandoah Valley this summer. While I have read quite a bit about the war in the Valley, I have spent very little time there other than visiting Harpers Ferry and Lexington. If anyone can recommend a couple of must-see battlefields in the Valley or other highlights I would greatly appreciate it.
Don't mean to be redundant. I am a newbie here and don't know where to look for things quite yet.
Personally, I've found that at least a couple of days can easily be spent in Winchester; the Jackson Headquarters Museum and Downtown Courthouse Civil War Museum should be on any buff's list of must-sees. (DON'T depend on getting information at the city's Visitor Center though!) Depending on the season and the day-of-the-week the Kernstown Battlefield *may* be open; if it is it's a worthwhile stop. Likewise, Middletown (Battle of Cedar Creek) has a day's worth of attractions: start at the NPS Visitor Center for information and directions, visit Belle Grove Mansion, and stop for lunch or dinner or even stay at the Wayside Inn. (Beware the speed trap at Newtown though!) The museum and battlefield at New Market has already and rightly been recommended. IF you prepare yourself beforehand with information and directions, the short drive from Harrisonburg through Cross Keys to Port Republic is essential for anyone interested in studying Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign!

Maybe reviewing and following the links in these two threads would be helpful to give you an idea of the variety of things to see:

Stonewall Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign: A Synopsis and Index to Threads | Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (civilwartalk.com)

Shenandoah Valley 1864 - The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864: A Synopsis and Index to Threads | The Eastern Theater (civilwartalk.com)

Good luck on your trip and Welcome to the Forums!

Back