NF Shenandoah Valley battles.

Non-Fiction

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I am looking for a book on the war in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. What would be your 1st, 2nd and 3rd favorite recommendations? I am collecting a few books to read in January. I am going back in the hospital to have my knee replaced for the 2nd time. Old war injury still haunting me. It seems it is going to take longer to recuperate this time.

So let me hear from you. Thanks in advance.

I personally ain't a big reader of the Shenandoah Valley in the war, (though I ought to with a Shenandoah native reenacting partner in crime who's obsessed and thinks of the war only happening there), so I can't give a list of great books off hand.

But our own @Eric Wittenberg has written a book or two on goings on in an around the Shenandoah Valley.

Many years ago I read Shenandoah 1862 by Peter Cozzens . I liked it but he has gotten a lot of flack over it because he isn't a huge Jackson fan.

I personally ain't a big reader of the Shenandoah Valley in the war, (though I ought to with a Shenandoah native reenacting partner in crime who's obsessed and thinks of the war only happening there), so I can't give a list of great books off hand.

But our own @Eric Wittenberg has written a book or two on goings on in an around the Shenandoah Valley.

Thanks for the reminder. I have be his book Plenty of Blame to go Around, and love it.

If you’re looking for a lot of detail on the 1864 campaign, try reading two books by Scott Patchan. Shenandoah summer covers July 1864. The last battle of Winchester covers August and September up to the 19th

equally important as a book by Ted Mahr which I recommend. Early’s Valley campaign: battle of Cedar Creek – – showdown in the Shenandoah

Here are two books that you can read if you’re interested in Less detail. Jeffrey Wert is very readable, so from Winchester to Cedar Creek is a good bet. There’s also a book called the guns of cedar creek which I read a long time ago.

bryce

Back