Shelton Laurel Massacre

Among the Confederate defenders of Vicksburg were two brigades of East Tennesseans. My home county of Sullivan was known to local Unionists as "little Confederacy". The mountainous counties probably had the strongest Union sentiment. People living in the lowland close to the railroads and waterways had close financial ties to the lower south and tended to be pro-Confederate. It really was bitterly divided.
The war was less clear cut than many people know.

I agree with you. I found this on the internet.

Tennessee conflicts ran strong. While their neighbors and sometimes brothers fought for the South, some 31,000 Tennesseans joined the Federal army. Tennessee sent more white soldiers to fight for the Union than any other Southern state. Most were from East Tennessee, Astor said.

Greeneville resident Andrew Johnson was the only U.S. senator from the South to remain loyal to the Union after his state seceded. That loyalty was rewarded — President Abraham Lincoln named Johnson Tennessee’s military governor in 1862 and his vice-presidential running mate in 1864.

from
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2017/08/26/east-tennessee-civil-war-pro-union-divided/599123001/
In Professor Richard Current' s book " Lincoln's Loyalists Union soldiers from the Confedracy" North East University Press Current states that 42 K men from Tennessee enlisted bin the Union Army . This figure does not include Unionist guerrillas or Milita.
Leftyhunter

John Gray, a Civil War Vet from Greene Co., TN. states in his Diary (hand written) that Hamp Burgess (his In law) was killed by Rebel soldiers on Locust Ridge at the head of Shelton Laurel, Madison Co., NC. and buried where as he fell;. A man named Isaac Shelton was killed the same time & place & buried beside him. Written by John Gray May 15, 1922.
Is there a copy of that Diary available?

Lack of support for Confederacy in East Tennessee was long before Shelton Massacre. Greene Co., Tennessee and Madison Co., North Carolina had many interactions prior to that time. Many Greene Countians joined 2nd North Carolina Mounted Infantry, US, in Shelton Laurel. NC. in Fall of 1863.
Burnside got to Knoxville Sept 2. He recruits about 3k regulars and 2k Tennessee guardsmen as he called them. So, it because easier for someone to go with the flow.

Burnside got to Knoxville Sept 2. He recruits about 3k regulars and 2k Tennessee guardsmen as he called them. So, it because easier for someone to go with the flow.
In the summer of 1864, 90-day regiments of Union mounted infantry were recruited in East Tennessee. A good number of them were Confederate deserters that never returned to the Rebel Army after Vicksburg. The real committed Unionists made their way through Confederate lines to Kentucky in the beginning. The "switch-hitters" had survival on their mind more than saving "The Glorious Union". I had relatives in both groups as well as Confederates. The war in East Tennessee was as already stated "less clear cut".

In the summer of 1864, 90-day regiments of Union mounted infantry were recruited in East Tennessee. A good number of them were Confederate deserters that never returned to the Rebel Army after Vicksburg. The real committed Unionists made their way through Confederate lines to Kentucky in the beginning. The "switch-hitters" had survival on their mind more than saving "The Glorious Union". I had relatives in both groups as well as Confederates. The war in East Tennessee was as already stated "less clear cut".

Wasn’t there a Vicksburg Camp of Confederates at Athens TN in Nov 63 waiting for parole? I read a reference to it studying Longstreet’s Knoxville Campaign.

Wasn’t there a Vicksburg Camp of Confederates at Athens TN in Nov 63 waiting for parole? I read a reference to it studying Longstreet’s Knoxville Campaign.
There was one at my end of the State in Jonesboro. I suspect they were to drill etc and be prepared once they were exchanged which I don't believe happened till 1864. By that time many had figured out how the thing was probably gonna end and switched allegiances.

There was one at my end of the State in Jonesboro. I suspect they were to drill etc and be prepared once they were exchanged which I don't believe happened till 1864. By that time many had figured out how the thing was probably gonna end and switched allegiances.

What I figured. These guys refused to move forward with Longstreet. Carter Stevenson had a division just south of the Hiawassee River. His troops were Vicksburg paroles. Took the Oath. Both of them. They came back to Chattanooga. They were Exchanged with Longstreet .

Fascinating Stuff!

My Great-Great Grand Father Samuel Burgner of 61st Tennessee came back from Vicksburg to parole camp at Jonesboro, TN. and died of wound in Sept., 1863. He was from Washington Co., TN.
There were a few that remained loyal to the bitter end. After Vicksburg, they were mounted and served as mounted infantry. My kinfolk were from Sullivan & Washington County.

Just on a side note: The Cumberland Pass into Kentucky was so dangerous that soldiers North and South would not go through it unless they had a sizable force. Cut Throats, Bushwackers, Bandits and Deserters owned that pass. Imagine that! Cut Throats, and Bushwackers, The Thomas Legion of the Eastern Band of Cherokees, Patty Rollers, Mountain folk who were hated by the city folk and a country at war. All these people were roaming around this area. This would make an amazing novel or non-fiction book.

I want to know more! I have spend most of my adult life tent camping and kayaking these little streams and rivers up there.

Jamieva this may be the best post I have seen on the civil war for me. I thank you! Hooza Hooza Hooza!

I have read two books on the Shelton Laurel Massacre but they were published by the University of Tennessee and I cannot find them on Amazon. A kayaking buddy gave them to me when he was getting is PHD in History.

Last edited:
Having done research on the Huntsville Massacre in Arkansas, I was appalled at the unbearable situation that civilians faced in Missouri and Arkansas. But I just finished an article by Melanie Greer Storie--and am equally appalled at what was happening in East Tennessee.

Back