Shelby's Mule (Waiting on the Federals) Lyrics.

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
I haven't heard this song played since I was kid, but it was popular as a fiddle tune then with the older folks. It's a song about Shelby's 63 Raid.

[SIZE=+4]"Shelby's Mule"[/SIZE]

(also known as "Waiting on the Federals")

Some say this song was as popular as "Dixie" within the State.

[SIZE=+3]Song Lyrics[/SIZE]

Midi File, courtesy of Scott K. Williams, Copyright 1998.

1st Verse:

[SIZE=+1]The Union folks away up north were one time much afraid,[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]'Bout something coming from the South, they said it was a raid.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Now I will tell you what it was, if you will just keep cool—[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]It had long ears, and a long slick tail, and called Jo Shelby's Mule.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]CHORUS:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]That something's up and hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid.[/SIZE]2nd Verse:

[SIZE=+1]Once this mule went on a spree, up close to Lexington,[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]And every time he gave a snort he made the Blue Coats run.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Coming back through “Old Saline” he got into a trap,[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]He seared Old Brown, kicked up his heels, and came back safe to Pap.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]CHORUS:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]That something's up and hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid.[/SIZE]

3rd Verse:

[SIZE=+1]Once I went to see Old Abe and found him in a rage,[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Because this mule had started north, and just then crossed “sage.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Indeed, his anger knew no bounds, says I, “Sir, pray keep cool.”[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]“I can't,” said he, “I've lost so much by Shelby's long tailed Mule.”[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]CHORUS:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]That something's up and hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid.[/SIZE]4th Verse:

[SIZE=+1]“Old Rosy” got a long dispatch, which came from way down East.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Saying, “Take some thirty thousand men and try to catch that beast.”[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]To obey orders he was bound, but said Abe was a fool,[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]And hadn't halter strong enough to hold Jo Shelby's Mule.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]CHORUS:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That something's up and hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid.[/SIZE]

5th Verse:

[SIZE=+1]Some say our State did not secede, but let me tell you now[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That if she did or if she didn't we'll have her anyhow.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Let us alone, we'll do the same, that is the Southern rule;[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If that won't do we'll pack the State down South on Shelby's Mule.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]CHORUS:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]That something's up and hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid.[/SIZE]
raidmap.jpg
From this link:

http://www.pricecamp.org/lastraid.htm

You can try to listen to it here, if their player is workin.

http://www.bartonpara.com/civilwar/jw/shelby.htm

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)