Sharpsburg/Antietam June 1991

Chetallica

Private
Sharps 001.jpg

Pulled out some battlefield pics from Antietam from back in June of 1991 and thought some folks would enjoy seeing them. Hard to believe I took these 26 years ago.
There were a few reenacting troops there and do not recall which regiments they were. I was still reenacting at the time but this was just a family road trip for the day so I am not in any of the pics. If you were there in June '91, do you see yourself??
Sharps 002.jpg
Sharps 003.jpg
Sharps 004.jpg
Sharps 005.jpg
Sharps 006.jpg
Sharps 008.jpg
Sharps 009.jpg
Sharps 010.jpg
Sharps 011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you reenacting up off Rench Road south of Hagerstown (between Sharpsburg Pike and Downsville Pike)? I remember one reenactment there especially - I was in an office not far away trying unsuccessfully to have a conference call while you reenactors were waking the dead. I guess I just can't believe that was 26 years ago, but I guess it could have been. Time flies whether you're having fun or not.

Were you reenacting up off Rench Road south of Hagerstown (between Sharpsburg Pike and Downsville Pike)? I remember one reenactment there especially - I was in an office not far away trying unsuccessfully to have a conference call while you reenactors were waking the dead. I guess I just can't believe that was 26 years ago, but I guess it could have been. Time flies whether you're having fun or not.

I was not reenacting the day these pics were taken, I was on a family day trip. But recall there being troops spread out through many sections of the fielsd and even had some artillery (don't know why I did not have a pic of that). So although I was not involved that day, I am sure the reenacting activity was making some noise!

I was not reenacting the day these pics were taken, I was on a family day trip. But recall there being troops spread out through many sections of the fielsd and even had some artillery (don't know why I did not have a pic of that). So although I was not involved that day, I am sure the reenacting activity was making some noise!
I remember standing outside and watching some of the reenactment in the distance, half mile or so away. I could not hear the person standing next to me even though she yelled in my ear. Loud!!!

Awesome pictures. When I was there just a few weeks ago I was struck at how small the area really was. In my head I was picturing this huge vast space.

The most amazing thing about Antietam to me is how condensed and intense it was. Condensed in both time and space, and intense for 12 straight hours with little or no letup. Looking at the maps makes my head spin - regiment after regiment being sucked in and spit out, and so crammed together. Then you look at the field and imagine it being covered in smoke and noise, and the terrain hiding men everywhere. You wonder how the casualties weren't higher.

View attachment 137680
Pulled out some battlefield pics from Antietam from back in June of 1991 and thought some folks would enjoy seeing them. Hard to believe I took these 26 years ago.
There were a few reenacting troops there and do not recall which regiments they were. I was still reenacting at the time but this was just a family road trip for the day so I am not in any of the pics. If you were there in June '91, do you see yourself??
View attachment 137681 View attachment 137682 View attachment 137685 View attachment 137686 View attachment 137687 View attachment 137688 View attachment 137689 View attachment 137690 View attachment 137691
Outstanding. I particularly like the shot from the tower at the sunken road. I have the same shot from 2006 - newer cars in the parking lot.

The Confederate officer at far right in the first photo (wearing a light-colored duster and straw hat) bears a resemblance to the late Roger Johnson who headed up a large brigade-sized group of Western Confederates around that time.

Back