Sharps New Model 1863 Serial Number identification help

Jobe Holiday

Sergeant Major
It will take the luck of winning a Billion Dollar Power Ball Lottery to realistically put an actual user/owner's name to those initials. Logically, you will have to explore post ACW names, because the cartridge converted arms were completely refinished during the alteration process. Deep carving like yours exhibits would most likely have had the forearm replaced.
J.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Good morning Jobe, Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree, it appears my desire to connect the dots and identify an actual user/owner's name is a near impossible task. I was doing so in the interest of historical and educational purposes for our Sea Scouts. You make an excellent point that the initials were probably carved following the alteration process, as they would likely have replaced the forearm if the initials were there when they did the alteration.
With only initials, it appears that searching for ACW soldiers, US Calvary or Texas Rangers to mention a few, is truly an impossible task... but worth a try. Thanks again!