Sharps New Model 1863 emblem in stock

OldSarge79

Sergeant
I bought a Sharps New Model 1863 Infantry rifle about 35 years ago, serial # C37174. It has a 7-point white star INSET into the left side of the stock, about an inch and 5/8 in diameter. In a small metal round piece in the center is engraved what appear to be the initials "HB". Other than the normal markings and cartouches, there is nothing unusual.
Does this emblem look familiar to anyone? Could this be from some sort of organization, veteran's or otherwise?
0917171001-01.jpg
2nd photo.jpg

I think it's a customization of a personal firearm. Oh, obviously former martial but acquired later by a private owner. this sort of thing is seen quite often on Mausers etc that owners put a personal touch to. Not done currently but was semi popular up thru at least the 1960s.

I think a Texas star would be five points. Without taking this out of the stock, the white star looks like some sort of plastic, which, if it is, would probably indicate a later date. But it does seem odd that someone would put a large piece like that into the gun and have such small initials inscribed....difficult to read.

I agree with @JOHN42768 No military significance IMO. I checked all the Union Corp emblems, not one.

I like the design. It is probably a personal thing. The design reminds me of a WWII area command patch. Nothing from the Civil War though. It could be made out of ivory. It is a pretty neat thing either way. I do like the Sharps Rifle quite a bit also.

Okay, thanks for all the input. If no one has seen another like it, I will assume it was an individual. And after looking at it with a magnifying glass, I don't think it is plastic. Maybe it is ivory.

I think a Texas star would be five points. .

Yeah, Texas Ranger badges are five. However,

Throughout recorded history the charge of upholding the Law of the Land has been the responsibility of the local Nobleman and his soldiers. With the Act of Posse Comitatus or Power of the County, the first step towards separating law enforcement from military duty was taken. The offices of Marshal, Sheriff, Constable and Police were made into civilian positions, but it is hardly surprising that their insignias of office reflect their heraldic origins as knightly decoration.

Some of the earliest known American law enforcement badges were found in the larger East Coast cities. These followed the example of their English predecessors and were rayed stars as can be found in the first issue Boston and Baltimore badges. They were totally custom die-struck pieces, based on the Star Medallions of Chivalric Orders with raised lettering and the armorial bearings or seal of their City. These were well suited to the larger and financially well off Municipal Departments. As smaller Cities and Towns began to institute their own agencies to supplement the County Sheriff's Offices, a more cost-effective solution was sought.

The plain five point, six point and seven point star badges made their appearance. These could be lettered with the City, Town, County and Department's name much more economically.
http://www.shootingbums.org/wmr/badges.html

Back