Breechldrs Sharps Carbine 1863 - Buying Tips

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
Hi everyone. I'd like to buy a Sharps Carbine, probably the 1863 version (but try and convince me otherwise). Any tips (specific to the Sharps) on what to look for or avoid when buying one? Thanking you all in advance for your help!

Last edited:
If you're planning on using it for reenacting, don't buy one. Without a bullet, you don't get enough pressure to seal the breech and they leak gas.

If you're planning on live firing it, find someone who knows how to clean it to show you how. It's not like cleaning a musket.

Regards,
Don Dixon

That depends on what you want to do with it. Are you looking for a shooter or a museum type piece?

I always want shooters....maybe i should put "shooter" into my Forum name. ;-)

My son just said he prefers the 1859. Any intel on 1859 appreciated too.

Its not molestation. They were made for a purpose, andvtgey shall be used accordingly...lovingly.
My point is that originals have a patina to them that you don't want to alter from a collector point of view and parts are virtually unobtainium. If you want to shoot live, get a repop. If you want to shoot live in competition, absolutely get a repop.

Reactions: WJC
No more tips required! I bought one the other day. Can't wait to get my grubby paws on it. I owe some thanks to a Forum member (I shall not name them in case they wish to remain anonymous) who spotted one for me. Once again, I just wanna say that you are all a great bunch of guys, very helpful, and I love the passion that you share with me for these beautiful pieces of history. Now if only you folks could spot a decent Lorenz for me!! 🤜🤪

Reactions: WJC
Here it is:
1571449732280.png

1571449814873.png

1571449844536.png

DSCN3312.JPG
DSCN3322.JPG
DSCN3327.JPG

Back